V3: precompiled installers

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Apr 28, 2007 at 10:55 AM
It would be great if you could keep providing pre-compiled installers for your service factor V3. I noticed that only the first drop was pre-compiled.

I know you provided steps to build it from sources, but I find it quite cumbersome to go through that.

You know as a "dumb" user I just want to see what I can do with the new V3 (which really is a great step forward).

Thanks for consideration
Apr 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM
Thanks Dierk,

There's a tradeoff here between doing source drops every couple of weeks and doing binary drops less frequently. Binary drops require more work in terms of signing and testing and currently we're not able to do them every iteration and get and feature work done. We want to give the community visibility into what we're doing every iteration and that's why we do source drops every iteration. Currently it takes a day or two at the end of each iteration to complete a test pass and get a source drop out the door.

I know getting the source code to build at the moment is somewhat long winded (search and replace - ugg!) we're looking to improve that story in the next few weeks.

Some questions to you and the rest of the community:

Suppose if all you had to do to get a source drop running was; install the source MSI, run one script, build the source and register the GP. Would it be more useful to have a source drop every two weeks or a full binary drop every six weeks?

If we dropped source code more frequently onto CodePlex but provided it "as is" would this be useful? We could potentially drop every night but there might be less consistency in terms of the drop quality.

Thanks,

Ade
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:59 PM
Thanks for your reply.

First, I'm probably not the typical user. So don't put too much value in my vote.
Second, having sources for sure if of value.
Third, if you could simplify the build process to a level of "run that single script/batch/..." than this would be fine (provided the installation requirements for the build process are not more than those for a pre-compiled installer).
May 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM
I'm working on improving this during our current iteration. You should see less convoluted source install steps soon.

If anyone else would like to weigh in on my questions (above) then please do!

Thanks,

Ade
May 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Great, thanks.