Installer package does not register package

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum
Feb 21, 2007 at 4:57 PM
I have modified the WSSF gp (Dec 2006 release) and it works as required on my machine. I now would like to create an installer to distribute the package to developers. I have added a Setup project to the solution. To create the setup project I have added the following to the Application Folder:

All Primary Output and Content Files for each project (Extensions, Validation, ServiceFactory, ServiceFactory.WCF, WCF Guidance Package, WCF Guidance Package Installer, and WCF Semantic CodeAnalysis) have been to the Application Folder of the Setup project.

Note that I have a added a reference between the WCF Guidance Package project and the WCF Guidance Package Installer project.

On a developer machine I have installed GAX and the installer package. The Event viewer states that the installer has successfully completed.

The package does not appear in File--> New Project--> Guidance Packages.

The package name does not appear in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies… The Guidance package manager is not available - I am assuming this is only avaialble if you install GAT...

Is there any documentation on how to create installers for the packages? Help!
Feb 21, 2007 at 6:19 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2007 at 6:20 PM
As far as I know, the only documentation is the one included in GAT/GAX installation. However, the generated Setup project with GAT should be enough to create an MSI that will install your GP along with all its references. In this case, you may use the Setup project included in WCF GP with some considerations (some of them may be the cause of your issue).
1) If you just want to distribute your updated GP, you only need the Primary Output of the "WCF Guidance Package" and "WCF Guidance Package Installer" projects along with the "Content Files from WCF Guidance Package". The rest of the references (Libraries) may be included in "Detected Dependencies".
2) Open "Custom Actions" and check that each action has the "CustomActionData" property with the value: /Configuration="TARGETDIRWCF Guidance Package.xml"

Let me know if this solved your problem.
Charly.