SQL XML Data Type Not Supported

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Feb 8, 2007 at 6:27 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM
How come the business entity layer generator does not support the SQL XML data type ? When I open the table is does not allow me to select the field and it indicates that the column is "Not Supported".
Developer
Feb 13, 2007 at 5:25 PM
That was by design. We didn’t support it because that type only exists in SQL server, and we wanted to keep the option open for ports to other databases. Feel free to post your suggestion in "Issue Tracker" if you think this might be a nice to have for v3.

Thanks,
Hernan
Feb 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM
I raised this xml data type question previously in thread "Data contract approach in WCF Service Factory???" and haven’t get really clear answer how to carry on when having XML data type.

I think most RDBMS do support xml data type and this is not just MS SQL feature. I believe xml data type support should be available in next release. As the xml data type is common type in legacy entities the possible workaround should be explained before xml data type is going to be supported.

GBLATZ, are you going to create the suggestion for this in Issue Tracker?

Alexander

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:20 PM
Hello daveloper!!

I make excuses myself for my English but I do not speak English well.
I'm italian and i'm a student! I'm study the Service Factory for the university and I address you because I have a problem to resolve.

I want to create a recipe in order to generate business entity from an XML schema.
It's possible?

I have seen the "CreateBEFromDB" recipe and I'm look at the "GenerateBusinessEntities" action.
I have understood that the classes C# code comes generated gives the "BusinessEntity.t4" template, but I don't understand as the entities come associated to the object "Entities".
How I fill up the object “Entities” with the contained entities in the XML file?
It's possible?

Moreover, I would want to know if there is a documentation that explains where it comes created and filled the object "Entities" with the entities.

Please you answer to me.

Tanks,
Riccardo.
Feb 15, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Riccardo,

no need for excuse!!! We all need to start from somewhere.

I think this is a bit different topic/issue; as I understood you are looking for how to generate data contracts from XML schema in Web Service Factory.

If so, there is a great data contract blog cast at MSDN blog from Don Smith. Take a look of http://blogs.msdn.com/donsmith/archive/2006/04/20/579735.aspx, Don is demonstrating a different ways of creating a data contracts and his is showing also how to create the contract by XML schema.

Hope this helps…
AlexanderQX
Developer
Feb 15, 2007 at 6:19 PM
Already uploaded to issue tracker:
http://www.codeplex.com/servicefactory/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=323

Charly