Next VB.NET Release

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 5, 2007 at 5:49 AM
Is it possible to get a tentative date for the next release of WSSF for VB.NET?

Thank you,

Michael
Apr 11, 2007 at 2:56 PM
Ditto.

Thx,
Brian
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2007 at 2:19 AM
Just a quick update. The conversion is complete. There are a few bugs, but we do plan to put an early drop of it on this community site just as soon as the test team finishes their smoke tests. So, the ETA for the community drop is early next week.

Don
May 31, 2007 at 10:36 AM
Has this been released yet?

Thanks
Mary
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Don't make me have to switch to C#...

;-)
Jun 7, 2007 at 9:25 AM
Don,
Any more news
It's been a couple of months since the last update, hope you haven't forgot about the vb chaps :)
We need WCF Factories too :)
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2007 at 9:32 PM
No, we haven't forgotten. It's just taking a longer than expected to get it out. We're guilty of letting other projects and tasks randomize us. Sorry about that. I'll check with the rest of the team and provide a more concrete status update by the end of the week. Thanks for keeping us honest ;)

Don
Jul 16, 2007 at 7:53 AM
Is there any date set for this release yet? Sorry to bug you :)
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2007 at 6:44 PM
Sorry for dropping the ball on this one. I just spoke with Dmitri and the only thing we need to do is build the documentation and finish the installer. Would you like a pre-release source code drop this week, or would you rather wait until the installer is done (hopefully next week)? Thanks for pressing us on this. We'll try not to delay any longer than needed to get this out to you.
Jul 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Next week like in 7 days would work ;)
Thanks for looking into it.
Jul 25, 2007 at 7:05 AM
Thank you for the update, very glad to hear its close and will keep an eye on the site next week.
Jul 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM
great looking forward to next week ish :)
could be just in time need a new web service writing, so could be time to get a service factory in wcf going :)cheers
Aug 2, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Hi, we are already in Aug, any update on the release?
Aug 14, 2007 at 7:32 AM
Hi, just a little bump to see if there was any news on this release yet?
Aug 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Hi, would be good to get an update of when this release will be? it would help us decide which factory to go with.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM
I'm sorry for not doing a better job keeping you all up to date on the status of this work. Here is what is going on:

The work has already been done and tested. The problem is the HxS documentation needs to be built into a merge module and it needs to be incorporated into the installer. This work requires two different people: someone on the doc team to build the MSM, and a dev who knows the installer well enough to incorporate it. Unfortunately, both of these people are on the Service Factory: Modeling Edition team and are super-busy trying to get the release done so it can ship at the end of September.

Here’s the question I’m struggling with: should we have them do this work for the v2 December release knowing the Modeling Edition will be done at the end of the month (and providing a VB.NET version of it would be way better)? Making the Modeling Edition VB.NET-aware is just a matter of providing the text templates and wiring it up. We've already done this for the data contract model to make sure it isn't too difficult.

After releasing the Modeling Edition, we would like to remove the December 2006 release from MSDN. I'm very interested to know what feedback you all have about this. Thanks,

Don
Sep 4, 2007 at 9:40 PM
I would perfer that you incorporate the full VB.Net version into the Modeling Edition (V3).
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:25 PM
Are you saying that when V3 ships at the end of September it will include VB.Net support? That would be great!

If so, it sounds like using the resources to integrate VB.Net into V3 would be the better way to go.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 11:49 PM
I wanted to make sure all of you who are interested in creating VB.NET services saw my recent v3 status update here. While we won't release with VB.NET support, the good news is this is not very hard work to do. It is mostly a matter of changing the text templates. As stated in the status update, there is already an example IN the factory source code. There are a few other bits to flip, but we can help identify those. If one of you decides to do the work (or if a few of you get together and do it) I would be happy to post it back to this site for others to benefit from.