Guidance Package for VB.Net

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Sep 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Hi,

We are looking at making WSSF Modeling Edition (vs2008) our official Service Generation tool very soon. However the organization preferred language is VB.Net.

I read that WssfContrib will enable us to generate VB.Net code instead of C#, but I would like to know if WssfContrib is in line with the next version of Wssf.

What I really want to know is how difficult will it be to migrate to the next version of Wssf (generating vb.net code) after we started using WssfContrib.

Our strategy is to bring the source code in and recompile it with a new SNK, and then we want to create an installer for it. We don’t want to install the original package on the developers’ machines, only our custom version of the tool.

Thanks,
Eric

Developer
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Hi Eric,

I will get back with a better answer as soon as possible. I would say that the VB extensions are likely to be included in the next version but I can't confirm that. Regarding the migration, I will also give you further details so you can have a good idea about this effort.

Regards,

Hernan

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Hey Eric,

You are correct that the WssfContrib project has published the VB.NET template, but unfortunately, the patterns & practices team is not able to take any of the code from the contrib projects and incorporate them into our deliverables. I know it may seem silly, but it has to do with legal constraints that are out of our control.

What I can tell you is I don't believe we're going to do anything that will prevent these templates from being used in the next version of the Service Factory. Just before we publish the next version (around the March 2010 timeframe) we'll have a community member make sure the VB.NET templates still work.

I hope this will work for you,
Don

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Hi Don,

Thanks for the detailed answer. I agree, it’s silly, but at least now I know where we stand and it will be much easier to keep going.

Regards,
Eric