WCF - cannot add service reference

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Hello, I've got problem of add service reference to a project(VS 2008). When I started a window console host, and try to right click on the client

project for adding service reference. It was not available. It showed as follow:

http://www.cnblogs.com/images/cnblogs_com/leoyo/198309/o_wcf.jpg

I tried to reinstall the VS 2008, but it did not work also. And i also upgrade the VS2008 to VS 2010, it still can't work.

Is there anybody worked out this problem?

thanks.

Developer
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Hi TJ,

If I got it right from your screenshot, I guess that you may have the host console running in the same VS instance of your client application so VS IDE will show up all the design time options disabled since you are running a process. You may simply try to open the host console in a separate instance of VS and invoke the "Add service reference" option from your client VS instance.

Regards,

Hernan 

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Yes, you are right, hernandelahitte. I seperated the server and the client into two instance of VS. Then i started the console host instance, and i can invoke the "Add Service Reference" option for the

cilent VS instance.

Thanks very much.

But i still got into the question. Why someone else can invoke the "Add Service Reference" option while their server host and client are in the same VS instance?

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Now, I have worked out this problem. Every time i started the instance is in the debug mode, that cause this problem. If you start the instance without debugging, then it will be ok for invoking

the "Add service reference" option.

Thanks.