ASMX Implementation versus WCF Implementation (WSSF:ME for VS 2008)

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM
In the Hands-On Lab, and in my own testing, an ASMX Implementation creates the Host project under the "Service Interface" folder. With a WCF Implementation, the Host project is created under the "Tests" folder. 

Can someone explain this observed behavior of the WSSF:ME (for VS 2008) guidance package? Specifically, was this intended and why? What is the significance of the different location?

Additionally, could someone point to examples of how to carry out the equivalent of exercises 7 & 8 in the HOL, which target an ASMX implementation?
Developer
Feb 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Regarding the first question, that is basically for back compat with previous versions of WSSF that only supported ASMX and were implemented that way.
Regarding the Ex7&8, they should be much like the WCF scenario but with the minor changes fo the host location and config file along with some property for WCF or ASMX only scenarios..
Feb 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM
In exercise 8 of the HOL, step 6 creates an overrided method which depends on "using BYA.Mfg.SCM.Svc.WCF.MessageContracts;" . Since there is no MessageContracts project in the ASMX implementation, how would one do something analogous to exercise 8?

Thanks!
Developer
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:27 AM
You can use the DataTypes proyect instead of MessageContracts and Faults.
Developer
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM
You can use the DataTypes proyect instead of MessageContracts and Faults.
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM
By using the datatype directly, will this be a good practice? If not what will be a better recomendation?
Developer
Feb 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM
You may consider a good practice since you don't have in ASPX the concept of MessageContract.
You can also check out these links get an idea regarding MC and DC usage.

http://blogs.msdn.com/donsmith/archive/2008/03/10/using-messagecontracts-and-datacontracts.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms730255.aspx