VS2005 Performance Problems

Topics: July and December Releases Forum
Jan 24, 2007 at 9:47 PM
I've been playing around with the Dec. CTP. I've tried to create an ASMX web service using the recipes - no go if you're trying to do object collections. I've tried to create a WCF web service using the recipes. Got much farther and was able to start testing the client with the host.

After I got to this point, loading the solution in VS2005 began taking over 10 minutes. I killed VS2005 a few times thinking that it had crashed. I ran devenv.exe /resetsettings to see if something got hosed. The status bar states "Loading project file 'Unit Tests'..." while the apparent delay takes place.

I've run the SysInternals ProcMon.exe against devenv.exe and it appears to be cycling through the .cs files of each project multiple times. It eventually comes up. I was loading the project while typing this and it took 15 minutes to load the solution.

I tried creating a new WCF project to try and diagnose this problem. Everything was created right after I told it the namespace. Then, I shut down VS2005 and restarted it. Then I told loaded the new test solution. Loaded right up. Took less than 30 seconds. Of course, I hadn't gone through each recipe on the test solution.

Anyone else seeing this?
Jan 25, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Yep, it is a known issue. Just delete your *.suo file and things should be fine again.
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Well, it was a "known" issue by many of us, but it wasn't documented in the Known Issues document ... until now :) Thanks Rene,

Don