Requirement to install web service software factory with vs 2008

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Sep 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Hi all,
May i know what all are the pre-requsites to install web services software factory with vs 2008 ?
I was using vs 2005 and wssf dec 2006 release. can't i use the same after installing vs 2008 ? will it work ?
wheather we have to install binary as well as source code releases...
Sep 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM
I would advise you to uninstall the previous WSSF version and download the latest one for VS2008. You can either install the Binary version to use the factory as it comes out of the box or the Source one if you need to customize it. Both versions can be found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-ar/library/cc487895(en-us).aspx

In addition, make sure your system complies with the following requirements, depending on the version you install.

Binary:
-Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista operating system
-Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (Visual Studio Professional Edition or Visual Studio Team Suite) 
-Visual Studio 2008 SDK Version 1.0 
-Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 
-Guidance Automation Extensions - February 2008 Release for Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008

Source (same as binary requirements, plus..):   
-Visual Studio 2008 SDK Version 1.0 (includes the Domain-Specific Language (DSL) Toolkit) 
-Guidance Automation Toolkit - February 2008 Release for Visual Studio 2008

Regards

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I am totally confuesd now while coming from the WSSF Dec-2006 release to the new, that is frm vs 2005 to vs 2008.
in vs 2005 i could only find one insallation package that is WSSF Dec-2006 release. but here for vs 2008 i installed Web Service Software Factory Feb 2008.msi
When i open new project in vs 2008 i couldn't find anything like that i used to see in vs 2005.
actually which set up file i have to install. What is the difference between Binary and Source code. IF i want something like, that i used in vs 2005. selecting the other projects, i can see WSSF for WCF or something. But here in vs 2008 after installing the Binnary i am not able to see that. To see some thing like that am i missing any settings or something i have to install.

While going through the insatllation guide i saw  Installation Instructions for Source Code Installer  as well as Installation Instructions for Binary Installer
i follwed all the steps while installing Binary. Do i have to install Source Code also. but while installing the source code, we have to chnage some setting manually...

please.. i need some assisatance regaridn this as i am waiting for your reply,.. i dont wanna get screwd up after installing, once i reinstalled my system as my registery got corrupted. so i dont want that to happen again...

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:40 PM
Hi nimesh, first of all, you should not install both versions on a single machine. The difference between the two versions is that the Binary is the compiled version which you can install to start using the factory as it is. The Source version provides you with the source code of the service factory so that you can customize it if the binary version does not cover some specific requirement of your scenario. The Binary version covers most of the common scenarios, so in your case I would go with the Binary.

You will find the WSSF templates under the "Guidance Packages" section when creating a new project. For a detail guide on the WSSF: Modeling Edition try going through the Hand On Lab excercises (specifically the one for VS2008 named Service Factory - Building Hands-on Lab (VS2008).zip) which can be found here: http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=servicefactory&ReleaseId=7846

The lab is pretty well documented but let us know if you have any questions.

Regards
Sep 15, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply....
well, some of my doubts are clear now. But some are there to clarify.
here below i am just mentioning those...
1. WSSF Dec-2006 release was more comfortable , this new WSSF Modeling Edition seems to be Confusable.
    In WSSF DEc-2006 release, if we right click Bussiness Entities Layer and select the options(like: create CRUD storeproceudres from DB...etc), it iwll automatically generate the codes... but here where i have to connect with the DB, i mean
    where i can create reposotory classess...
2. In WSSF Dec-2006 release, i am able to generate codes using the recipes.. but here i am not able to create.
3. What is the advantage of WSSF ME Feb- 2007 release over WSSF Dec-206 release ?
4. if i want the same functinality that WSSF Dec-2006 performs, with VS 2008. what should i do ?
5. I went through the hands on lab. and i found more comfortable, still confusing... many of the functionalites that are available in WSSF Dec-2006 release is not available in the latest model or am i missing something...

Am i clear... please tell me if i am breaking in between...

Thanks in advance....