Unit Test Warnings?

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
May 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM
I apologize for asking this, but I guess it's too early in the morning for me to understand what I'm seeing. I'm trying to run the unit tests. Running them all resulted in the test host crashing, so I started to create test lists for subsets. For some reason, I chose the Recipe Framework tests first. They all passed, but gave warnings. What do these warnings mean?

Warning: conflict during test run deployment: deployment item 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by C:\Projects\WssfSrc\ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions\Unit Tests\bin\Release\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions.Tests.dll cannot be deployed to 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' because otherwise the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' would overwrite deployment item 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Lib\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Service Factory Guidance Package\Unit Tests\bin\Release\GuidancePackage.Tests.dll.
Warning: conflict during test run deployment: deployment item 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by the test container 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\microsoft.practices.servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions.tests.dll' cannot be deployed to 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' because otherwise the file 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' would overwrite deployment item 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Lib\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Service Factory Guidance Package\Unit Tests\bin\Release\GuidancePackage.Tests.dll.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: Failed to get the file for deployment item 'SampleData\DescriptionModel\MockService.xsdl' (output directory 'SampleData\DescriptionModel\') specified by the test 'GuidancePackage.Tests.Recipes.CreateWCFClientProxy.Presentation.SecureClientConfigPresenterFixture.ShouldGetImporterOnImporterNotFound': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\SampleData\DescriptionModel\MockService.xsdl'.
Warning: conflict during test run deployment: deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' specified by the test 'Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions.Tests.GenericSerializerFixture.DeserializationShouldReturnNullIfFileDoesntExist' cannot be deployed to 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' because otherwise the file 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' would overwrite deployment item 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Lib\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Service Factory Guidance Package\Unit Tests\bin\Release\GuidancePackage.Tests.dll.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: Failed to get the file for deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.Modeling.Common.dll' specified by the test 'GuidancePackage.Tests.Recipes.OrderAllDataMembers.OrderAllDataMembersActionFixture.ShouldOrderDataContractMembers': System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Microsoft.Practices.Modeling.Common.dll'.
Warning: conflict during test run deployment: deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Extensions.dll' specified by the test 'GuidancePackage.Tests.Recipes.CreateWCFClientProxy.Presentation.SecureClientConfigPresenterFixture.ShouldGetImporterOnImporterNotFound' cannot be deployed to 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' because otherwise the file 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' would overwrite deployment item 'C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Lib\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' directly or indirectly referenced by C:\Projects\WssfSrc\Service Factory Guidance Package\Unit Tests\bin\Release\GuidancePackage.Tests.dll.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'Microsoft.WizardFramework' directly or indirectly referenced by deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' specified by the test 'Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions.Tests.GenericSerializerFixture.DeserializationShouldReturnNullIfFileDoesntExist' was not found.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'EnvDTE' directly or indirectly referenced by deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Library.dll' specified by the test 'Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions.Tests.GenericSerializerFixture.DeserializationShouldReturnNullIfFileDoesntExist' was not found.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'Microsoft.Data.ConnectionUI.Dialog' directly or indirectly referenced by the test container 'c:\projects\wssfsrc\servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions\unit tests\bin\release\microsoft.practices.servicefactory.recipeframework.extensions.tests.dll' was not found.
Warning: Test Run deployment issue: The assembly or module 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio' directly or indirectly referenced by deployment item 'Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Extensions.dll' specified by the test 'GuidancePackage.Tests.Recipes.CreateWCFClientProxy.Presentation.SecureClientConfigPresenterFixture.ShouldGetImporterOnImporterNotFound' was not found.

These probably mean I missed doing something simple, but what did I miss?

Warnings aren't as bad as failures, but they do reduce ones confidence...
Developer
May 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM
No problems with the warnings. You may try removing the "[DeployItem] attribute and the warnings should go away.
May 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM

charlyfriend wrote:
No problems with the warnings. You may try removing the "[DeployItem] attribute and the warnings should go away.

Sorry, I'm new with WSSF. Remove the [DeployItem] attribute from where? In how many places, and which ones?

Thanks,
John
Developer
May 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Look for all the unit tests with that attribute. There will be quite a lot of them butwith a simple replace you should remove them all.
Notice that this warning should not stop you from running everything as expected.
May 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM

charlyfriend wrote:
Look for all the unit tests with that attribute. There will be quite a lot of them butwith a simple replace you should remove them all.
Notice that this warning should not stop you from running everything as expected.

I just did a Find in Files through all files in the solution, and did not find "DeployItem" anywhere, ignoring case, matching partial words, in all file types. In addition, Windows Desktop Search, which indexes all of my projects while it's indexing my emails, cannot find that word on my system, except in the email notification I received when you replied.

Could these warnings be caused by anything else?
Developer
May 21, 2008 at 9:02 PM
Sorry, the attribute name is "[DeploymentItem]".