CreateMappingFileAction failed - Attempted to read or write protected memory

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Help! I'm encountering a problem that I just can not get rid of. When I try to create a new modeling project I get the following error: "Recipe Framework Error. An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe Create Solution. Error was: Action CreateMappingFileAction faile to execute: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt...."

Here is the platform information:
  • Windows Vista Business (upgraded to Vista SP1 to see if problem would go away. didn't)
  • Visual Studio 2005 ("run as administrator")
* VS SP1
* VS SP1 Update for Vista
  • GAX 1.3 - July 2007(Error originalloccured under GAX 1.4 -Feb 2008, uninstalled, installed GAX 1.3, still fails with same error)
  • WSSF Modeling Edition - Nov 2007 for Visual Studio 2005

I have developed many projects using WSSF Modeling when my system was Windows XP. I upgraded to Windows Vista a month ago, and am now having this problem. I am able to open existing WSSF projects and work with them, but I am unable to create new projects.

Has anyone else seen/resolved this error? H E L P ! ! !
-Rob

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM
If you reinstalled GAX 1.3, try running from an admin cmd prompt this:

DEVENV /SETUP
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM
Thanks for the response. I opened a Visual Studio 2005 command prompt by right clicking and selecting 'run as administrator'. I then entered 'DEVENV /SETUP' as you specified. The command prompt cursor sat on new line blinking for about a minute, and seemed to complete. Nothing visual, no messages. I don't know what that did, but I figured you wanted me to try to create a WSSF project again. I did so and received the exact same error I have been receiving. Have you seen/experienced the "atttempt to read or write protected memory error" when creating a WSSF project before?

charlyfriend wrote:
If you reinstalled GAX 1.3, try running from an admin cmd prompt this:

DEVENV /SETUP

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM
As a follow up, I installed GAX 1.4 (Feb 2008) with elevated privileges and still get the exact same error when creating a modeling project. I see the package add the ProjectMapping.xml file to the solution and then the error occurs.
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Not when creating a project but we found something similar when opening a type picjer dialog but I don't think they might be related issues.
In you case I would suggest reinstalling everything from scratch (GAX 1.3 & the factory).
BTW notice that the current version of GAX is 1.4 so perhaps you are installing that instead of 1.3.
Apr 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Sorry, other tasks pulled me away from this problem. For myself, and for anyone else that could benefit from this, could you let me know if there are any additional things that need to be done besides just uninstalling the factory and the GAX? Perhaps files that need to be removed, or registry entries that need to get cleaned up... Thanks!