GeneratedCodeAttribute

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Mar 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Hi,

I noticed that the client proxy generation was producing GeneratedCodeAttribute at the partial class type level. This is incorrect according to http://blogs.msdn.com/fxcop/archive/2007/04/27/correct-usage-of-the-compilergeneratedattribute-and-the-generatedcodeattribute.aspx

Further, i noticed that none of the code being generated by guidance recipes was using the GeneratedCodeAttribute at all.

Was this on purpose? If so why?
Developer
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Matthew,

Notice that the proxy generation is being created with the same API that VS uses that in turns is the one that use svcutil.exe tool. You can compare the results with the one that svcutil produces and you should get something similar if not identical to that command line tool.
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM
Thanks Charly,

I will use MS connections to report the misuse and hopefully it will get to the group responsible for that API.

As far as the code templates contained within the guidance package, they do not use the GeneratedCodeAttribute at all. Is the only consequence going to be unexpected behavior when performing code analysis? For example, suppressing FXCop messages for generated code will not work.

Are there other consequences to consider?
Developer
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM
AS far as I know there no other cons. BTW why you can't suppress FXCop messages for gen work? You may always suppres a specific rule if you need to at the project scope if you don't want to update the tt file with the supression attribute or simple updating the tt in order to not generate the "fxcop message warning" code.