VS 2008 Release - Running very slowly?

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM
I've just downloaded and installed the newly released VS 2008 release of the Service Factory and have started to upgrade my projects to VS 2008.

However I am finding that I am getting very severe performance issues when opening, validating or saving and .DataContract or .ServiceContract files under VS2008. It is taking up to 5 minutes to save! It all works fine though, I can make changes, generate the code and compile the code; it's just that it is unusably slow.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am running Vista, with both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed. I have uninstalled the VS2005 version of the service factory to see if that makes a difference but it hasn't.
Some of my models are quite big, but I didn't encounter any problems under VS2005

Spencer
Developer
Feb 29, 2008 at 2:24 AM
If you create a new project with just a few items, does it behave the same? How big ar eyour models?
Feb 29, 2008 at 8:20 AM
I've created a new project with just 1 data contract model and 1 service contrct model, both very simple.

It is certainly a lost faster but it still seems a bit sluggish. Even just moving an item on the model yields a 5 second pause for some reason.

My existing models are quite small except for the DataContract model which is quite big (it has 38 Data Contract elements and lots of relationships)

brumfb wrote:
If you create a new project with just a few items, does it behave the same? How big ar eyour models?

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Just to avoid any possible conflict, I've uninstalled everything to do with Service Factory, GAX and GAT and also uninstalled VS 2005. I've then reinstalled the latest Gax and Service Factory but the same issue remains..

Developer
Mar 3, 2008 at 5:30 PM
  1. Did you check which service is consuming most of your CPU cycles while you experience this slow response in your model operations?
  2. Did you find any particular message in Event log?
  3. Did you also uninstalled VS2005 SDK?
It seems very suspicions how long it takes to move an element in the model (5secs?!)
Mar 4, 2008 at 9:27 AM
1) When the slow response is happening, the devenv.exe and csc.exe processes are running at a combined CPU level of between 25% and 50%. Our project group is quite big so on initial load devenv.exe is already using 83meg of memory (I am running on a dual-core, 4gb memory machine so this isn't an issue itself). On opening our big .datacontract diagram (which takes over 5 minutes to open, and another 5 to save) the memory usage for devenv.exe jumps up to 120meg.

2) I can't see any messages being generated in the standard Windows event logs. Are there any other logs I should be looking at?

3) I removed all things related to VS 2005 and tried but I still experienced slowdown.

The issue with the long pause on moving an element is a bit hit and miss. It's almost as if it's fine the first time you move something. On the second move there is a pause (on this big model that pause is over a minute)

charlyfriend wrote:
  1. Did you check which service is consuming most of your CPU cycles while you experience this slow response in your model operations?
  2. Did you find any particular message in Event log?
  3. Did you also uninstalled VS2005 SDK?
It seems very suspicions how long it takes to move an element in the model (5secs?!)

Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Spencer,

We'd already identified this issue and we are working on this. In the meantime you can use this as a workaround:
http://www.codeplex.com/servicefactory/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=23691.

Thanks,
CF