Can't create solution in VS 2008 version of SF

Topics: July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM
After successfully installing the prerequisites and the VS 2008 binary version of the Service Factory - Modeling Edition, I get the following exception when I try to create a modeling solution:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateSolution. Error was: Action CreateMappingFileAction failed to execute:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.RecipeFramework.Extensions.ProjectMapping.ProjectMappingManager.CreateMappingFile()
at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.Recipes.CreateSolution.CreateMappingFileAction.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ExecuteFromTemplate(String recipe, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.ExecuteRecipe(Boolean executeActions)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunFinished()

Since the installations worked without error, I'm confused as to why I can't even create a solution from the modeling project template. I'm guessing that my problem could be related to having previously installed GAX and SF - Modeling Edition for VS 2005? I was able to successfully uninstall these prior to installing the 2008 versions.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian
Developer
Feb 6, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Try re-installing the binary or if you are in Vista, try running DEVENV /SETUP from the "..\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE" from within a command prompt that is started with "Run as Administrator".
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:37 PM

charlyfriend wrote:
Try re-installing the binary or if you are in Vista, try running DEVENV /SETUP from the "..\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE" from within a command prompt that is started with "Run as Administrator".

I finally got a chance to look at this issue again and I am unable to resolve it even after trying your suggestions. I am running on WXP Pro with SP2. I have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed.

Do you have any more ideas of how I might fix this problem?

Thanks,
Brian
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:53 PM
I am having the exact same problem:

VS.Net: 2005& 2008

I did the following:

1. Installed Guidance Automation Extensions
2. Installed Guidance Automation Toolkit (both VS2005 and 2008)
3. Installed Guideance Automation Package for VS2008 (binary)

When I try to create a new WCF Model Project, I get the same problems listed above.

Anyone find a resolution for this?
Mar 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM
One more. Having the same problem but with one addition: if I run VS2008 in normal way I haven't even the possibility of creating a project using the Guidance Packages. When I click New Project the Guidance Packages doesn't appear.

I only can use it if I sart VS2008 by boldMicrosoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK->Tools->Start Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 under Experimental hivebold.
Mar 27, 2008 at 5:32 PM

absltedave wrote:
I am having the exact same problem:

VS.Net: 2005& 2008

I did the following:

1. Installed Guidance Automation Extensions
2. Installed Guidance Automation Toolkit (both VS2005 and 2008)
3. Installed Guideance Automation Package for VS2008 (binary)

When I try to create a new WCF Model Project, I get the same problems listed above.

Anyone find a resolution for this?

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I was able to resolve my problem by setting my default XML editor in VS 2008 back to the default VS XML editor. I had set my default XML editor to Expression Web and when the create solution recipe ran Expression Web would automatically start and then the recipe would abort with the exception I previously posted. As soon as I set the XML editor back to the default in VS then the create solution recipe completed without error.

I hope this helps.

-Brian
Aug 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Thank you Brian, your solution solved the problem.

Developer
Aug 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Good catch Brian, I will post this to the Known Issues section for future reference.

Thanks,

Hernan