File Names/Paths Too Long in Hands-On Lab Zip File

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Nov 10, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Edited Nov 10, 2007 at 9:48 PM
The hands-on lab manual warns:

Known Issue: If you use the starter solutions provided, it is highly recommended you extract them to a short pathname (for example, C:\WSSF-HOL). Working from a short pathname is also recommended if you don’t intend to use the starter solutions because some of the pathnames that will be created in some of the later exercises could become long enough to exceed the 254 character MAX_PATH limit in Windows.:

This is an understatement. Some of the starter solution files in the zip cannot be extracted no matter how short the name of the destination folder, and even if I rename the zip. The error message says, "The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system."

I'm running Vista and trying to extract using Windows Explorer. The disk has NTFS.

Here is one of the offending files. Even after renaming the file to F.zip and copying it to the root of D:, I can't extract this file.

D:\F.zip\Service Factory - Building Hands-on Lab\Exercise6\After\BlueYonderAirlines\BYA.Mfg.SCM.Svc.ASMX\Source\Service Interface\BYA.Mfg.SCM.Svc.ASMX.ServiceImplementation\BYA.Mfg.SCM.Svc.ASMX.ServiceImplementation.csproj

That string, alone, is 223 characters, but I suppose Vista is trying to evaluate a relative path from the source inside the zip to the destination folder, so it's looking at more than MAX_PATH characters.

Hopefully you're planning a new version of Hands-On Lab with shorter names. Isn't that a Best Practice?
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2007 at 12:48 PM
I'm a bit confused. It doesn't look like you've actually extracted the files from the zip because your path includes the zip. You'll need to do this before beginning the lab. Also, you don't need "Service Factory - Building Hands-on Lab" in the path. In other words, your path can be D:\WSSF-HOL\Exercise1.

There are no plans to release a new version of the Hands-on Lab. I hope this eliminates all of the troubles you are having.

Thanks.
Nov 12, 2007 at 1:46 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2007 at 1:46 PM
I am also facing the same problem. I created a folder c:\s and tried to extract Exercise1, Exercise2 .... to this folder using the built-in decompression facility in Vista. But I still get the 'File name too long' error as described above. It's impossible to extract all the HOLs successfully. The error message complains about 300 files that cannot be copied due to this error.

Sujit
Nov 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM
I'm saying I can't extract the file to any destination because the path inside the zip file is too long, I'd love to remove "Service Factory - Building Hands-on Lab", but I can't because it's inside the zip.

I posted this before I started doing the lab, and now I realize that those .csproj aren't absolutely necessary. But if you aren't going to revise the lab, and there's no workaround, then the "Known Issue" should address the fact that some files can't be extracted from the zip.

Thanks.

donsmith wrote:
I'm a bit confused. It doesn't look like you've actually extracted the files from the zip because your path includes the zip. You'll need to do this before beginning the lab. Also, you don't need "Service Factory - Building Hands-on Lab" in the path. In other words, your path can be D:\WSSF-HOL\Exercise1.

There are no plans to release a new version of the Hands-on Lab. I hope this eliminates all of the troubles you are having.

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2007 at 2:52 PM
I'll try and get this to reproduce here and get back to you. I was unable to see this problem on XP so maybe it's Vista specific.

Ade
Nov 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM
This is a bug in Vista - as you mentioned, it works in XP.

Also after installing Vista SP1 - the extraction worked.

Thanks

Sujit
Nov 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM
This issue only effects Vista (no Sp1) users We'll be posting a a new version of the HOL shortly.

Ade
Developer
Nov 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM
As already pointed out, this is a bug in Vista and appears to be addressed in Vista SP1.

We've put together a self-extracting archive that will work on Vista and have made this available in the Releases area.

https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=servicefactory&ReleaseId=7846

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I am using Windows 7, VS 2008, version 9.0.30729 SP and am encountering this problem NOW, in 2010. What gives. I appears a 2008 update was issued to resolve this problem in Vista. I  even installed in my root directory and the problem still persists even though the path names trying to be created are nowhere close to the identified 248 limitation.

Specifcs are, in Exercise 5 of the Lab I try the "Add WCF Implementation Projects and I get this error 9 times:

"A problem was encountered creating hte sub project ..., The specified path, file name, or both are too long..."

I then get a "Recipe Framework Error":

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateWCFService. Error was: The following arguments are required and don't have values: DataAccessProject, BusinessEntitiesProject, BusinessLogicProject, ServiceImplementationProject, ServiceContractsProject, MessageContractsProject, FaultContractsProject, DataContractsProject. Can't continue execution..

Then a "...project creation failed.

Any help or insight is greatly apreciated.

Eric

Developer
Mar 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM

HI,

This is a know issue so the workarround is simply to locate your lab in a shorter path and threfore unfolde the project creation from that path.

Regards,

Hernan