Distributed development with WSSF

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Aug 7, 2007 at 4:46 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM
Hello Team,

I have been experimenting with the latest build and doing many of the extensibility walkthoughts which have been working very well. Thanks for all the assistance provided on this forum.

I am currently involved in a project to extend the WSSF to allow for team development of complex coarse-grained service contracts. This is a fairly common scenario in large SOA shops. The general thought is as follows:

1. Create a Data Contract / Service Contract model as usual.
  2. Be able to split the Service Contract into n parts.
  3. Generate code for n projects for each of the n parts. Each project would contain an interface of the Operation Contracts that make up that part. Data Contracts would be shared by all parts.
  4. Each part will be developed by a different developer/team - once completed they will provide a class library containing the completed part (essentially implementing the interfact that made up that part).
  5. Map each completed part back to the original Service Contract to create a working service (possibly by generating the code for a 'wrapper' to map the parts).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words ... so click here:
http://home.comcast.net/~sujitd/DistributedWSSF.png

I know this is a tall order but I was wondering if:

1. Anyone has ever done something like this before?
  2. Is this the correct approach to distributed development with WSSF?
  3. How do I got about doing something like this? Can the splitting of the Service Contract be done with the DSL toolkit? Any pointers/samples would be much appreciated to get me started.

Thanks

Sujit