Exception during unfolding of v3b87 project.

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Jul 12, 2007 at 6:46 PM
~I get this exception:

Project Template Wizard

A problem was encountered creating the sub project '$ModelProjectName$'. The application for project 'C:\Documents and Settings\tmillar\Local Settings\temp\cp34ycsf.2f3\Temp\Services1.Model.ssfproject' is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.ssfproject) is installed.

~I did add the registry entry.

An help would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 12, 2007 at 7:17 PM
Please be sure you are using the Visual Studio in the Experimental Hive - the one that comes with the VS SDK. You will definitely get this message if you try to use a normal instance of Visual Studio. Let us know.
Jul 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM
So I can't use VS 2005 w/ the VS SDK 4.0 installed with this at all? If this is the case can you point me to where I can get the source code for the drop you had used in your Web cast a month or so back in where you had the Class Designer using DSL working with WCF? I had installed this and had it unfolding sucessfully with VS 2005.
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:33 AM
Yes, you use VS 2005. With the VS SDK installed you have have the option to run VS in the experimental hive.

The experimental hive is a part of the registry - provided by the VS SDK - that is designated to test Visual Studio extensions 
(like DSLs) without the danger of corrupting the main registry hive that Visual Studio uses (the instance of VS you use every day). 
During testing, a different instance of Visual Studio (we'll call it the experimental instance of VS) is used and it only operates on 
the experimental hive. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166560(VS.80).aspx for more information. 
You can get to it by choosing Start -> All Programs -> Visual Studio 2005 SDK -> Tools -> Start Visual Studio 2005 under Experimental hive.

If that doesn't help, you can try resetting the experimental hive, rebuilding and re-registering the GP. Hope this helps,

Don
Jul 16, 2007 at 5:03 PM
Hello Team,

I'm getting the same error - and I have been resetting the hive and re-registering but it does not seem to help.

Here is how I got to the error condition: I went through the walkthroughs and got the TinyTemplate custom solution working as described in the doc. Then I decided to use a different name instead of TinyTemplate - so I went throught the walkthrough again and substituted the name where appropriate. This is what has caused the error. Although I've gone over the whole process many times to ensure I'm using the correct names for solution, templates etc., it's possible I messed up somewhere - but the error does not give me any clue!

Here is the exact text:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Project Template Wizard

A problem was encountered creating the sub project '$ModelProjectName$'. The application for project 'C:\Users\sujitd\AppData\Local\Temp\b4jwstom.e2x\Temp\Services3.ssfproduct' is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.ssfproduct) is installed.
OK
Jul 16, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Sujit, I just wanted to let you know we're looking into this. Until you mentioned "TinyTemplate" I thought you were refering to the basic walkthrough - I didn't know you were talking about one of the extensibiliy walkthroughs. tmillar, which walkthrough are you referring to? Did you get it worked out?

Don
Jul 16, 2007 at 9:54 PM
Thanks - Sorry should have mentioned it was the extensibility walkthrough.

Right now I have undone all the extensibility stuff and reverted back to the original Wss source (hopefully) but I'm still getting the error. I am going to re-build the original source code and see if that helps.

Sujit
Jul 16, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Yes, I'm still getting this. I am not working on any walkthroughs but am actually trying to incorporate much of your teams code into a project I'm working on. I have been tackling other issues since this post but in the last few minutes I've since just come back to this problem.

Where I am at is I finished taking the classes out of v3b87 that allow me to unfold a DSL modeler template, no more and no less. I'll definately post any findings I hopefully have as I dive deeper into this.

I do have a question about debugging. Is there anyway of debugging the code when a solution unfolds for the first time? ...I read a post about opening an existing unfolded solution and debugging code but this doesn't allow me to step in while it's unfolding.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:37 PM

If you are still encountering the It sounds the custom project is not registered correctly in either your main or experimental hive. See if you have a registry entry
in the VS main or experimental hive for Projects\{1df4d691-79fd-4e3e-b7a6-a1a5dc772bbd}.

Regarding debugging, if you start an instance of VS in the experimental hive, you can attach to that instance and debug any code that WSSF v3 is running. However, this is unlikely to help you resolve unfolding issues and there is no good way to debug this process. You could try enabling all runtime exceptions to see if there is an exception being thrown that you are not seeing.

HTH,

-b
Jul 18, 2007 at 10:43 PM
I re-installed the original code - got it back to where it was working again - then tried to create a new custom WSSF solution following the extensibility walkthrough - only renaming some of the elements to suite my purpose (changed TinyTemplate to something else). It threw the same error again!

:(

Sujit
Jul 19, 2007 at 4:41 PM
I tried unfolding a solution again but this time after building a clean image out with no remainents of GAT/GAX/WSSF/... and starting from scratch. I have incorporated into a project I'm working on the WSSF code and while unfolding a solution from it I get;

_"A problem was encountered creating the sub project '$ModelProjectName$'. The application for project 'C:\Documents and Settings\tmillar\Local Settings\temp\cp34ycsf.2f3\Temp\CoC.Core.Projects.Model.dem is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.dem) is installed."_

And as well I get the same error when unfolding WSSF v3b87

_"A problem was encountered creating the sub project '$ModelProjectName$'. The application for project 'C:\Documents and Settings\tmillar\Local Settings\temp\1rssr3jq.skt\Temp\Services1.Model.ssfproject' is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.ssfproject) is installed."_

Both the Exp hive and the main registry keys are in. The guid value is consistant with what is defined in the projects. And the project template and supporting files are building out as "Content" "Copy Always"?

I'm not sure what is happening but would love to see a solution or a fix come out as I think there is not much more us developers out here can do?

Trent
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Also after I recieve the follow error:

"Project Template Wizard

A problem was encountered creating the sub project '$ModelProjectName$'. The application for project 'C:\Documents and Settings\tmillar\Local Settings\temp\cp34ycsf.2f3\Temp\CoC.Core.Projects.Model.dem is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.dem) is installed."

I get this Recipe Framework Error:

"Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceMissingException: Service EnvDTE.DTE, required for component Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Actions.AddTemplateReferencesAction is not available in the current container.
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.SitedComponent.OnMissingServiceDependency(Type missingService)
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceHelper.CheckDependencies(Object component, IServiceProvider provider)
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ContainerComponent.CreateSite(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.ProcessReferences()"

Then one last Recipe Framework error:

"Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe CreateSolution. Error was: Action CreateMappingFileAction failed to execute:
Service EnvDTE.DTE, required for component Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.Recipes.CreateSolution.CreateMappingFileAction is not available in the current container..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceMissingException: Service EnvDTE.DTE, required for component Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.Recipes.CreateSolution.CreateMappingFileAction is not available in the current container.
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.SitedComponent.OnMissingServiceDependency(Type missingService)
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceHelper.CheckDependencies(Object component, IServiceProvider provider)
at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ContainerComponent.CreateSite(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Container.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.ExecuteFromTemplate(String recipe, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.ExecuteRecipe(Boolean executeActions)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.UnfoldTemplate.RunFinished()
"
Jul 20, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Trent,

We are assuming this is right after installing the build 87, resetting the experimental hive, building and registering the GP, and that this error occurs within VS started in the experimental hive after selecting New | Project | Guidance Packages | Service Software Factory | Services, is this right? I do get the same message you are getting if I try to unfold in the main hive instead of the experimental hive, so make sure you are using Visual Studio started in the experimental hive.

Can you give us some more details on your environment to see if we can reproduce?

Version of 2005? GAX/GAT Version? Vesion of VS SDK?

Operating System you are on? Are you running as a normal or elevated user through any part of this?

Any other Guidance Packages installed?

Thanks,

-b

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM
In my case it was defnitely in the experimental hive.

Thanks

Sujit
Jul 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM
Sujit,

Did you get everything working now or are you still experiencing problems?

-b

sujit wrote:
In my case it was defnitely in the experimental hive.

Thanks

Sujit

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM
Trent,

I've had our test team load up build 87 in a new environment to see if we can reproduce and so far we have not been able to reproduce. Please let me know if you have made any headway on this or can provide us some more details to see if we can work through it.

Thanks,

-b

brumfb wrote:

Trent,

We are assuming this is right after installing the build 87, resetting the experimental hive, building and registering the GP, and that this error occurs within VS started in the experimental hive after selecting New | Project | Guidance Packages | Service Software Factory | Services, is this right? I do get the same message you are getting if I try to unfold in the main hive instead of the experimental hive, so make sure you are using Visual Studio started in the experimental hive.

Can you give us some more details on your environment to see if we can reproduce?

Operating System you are on? Are you running as a normal or elevated user through any part of this?

Thanks,

-b

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:45 PM
First, sorry for the delay in posting my results.

Second, The problem I first stated was my error and not the WSSF. I read the following quote closer and then dove into the setup documentation. My real problem was that I didn't have the Claris package installed which when registering the WSSF it seemed it was not entering entries to the hive. So after installing Claris & then registering WSSF while the Claris package was enabled all was well.

Sorry for the red herring!

brumfb wrote:

Trent,

Thanks,

-b