V3B87 Import from WSDL

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Jul 11, 2007 at 9:51 PM
I get an error when I want to Import a WSDL file:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe ImportWsdl. Error was: Action GetContractStoreAction failed to execute:
InvalidParameter
Parameter name: index.

It's the Boeing.wsdl from the V2 HOL and all other wsdl's I want to import
Jul 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Hi Clemens,
I'm afraid this is a bug that was fixed right after this drop. However if this is a stopper to you, let me know and I might send you the fix, unless you can wait for the next drop.

Thanks,
Hernan
Jul 13, 2007 at 8:26 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Hernan,
It not a stopper for me, so I can wait.
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to generate a service model from a different file than WSDL. Any help on that would be great. Design documentation, a starting point, known pitfalls or something like that.

Update: Found it, you guys already tackled that one. In the ExtensibilitySection.pdf is a section "Importing Model Elements from an Arbitrary File Format"...

Thanks,
Clemens
Jul 13, 2007 at 6:23 PM
This is just an FYI ... the import WSDL and import XSD feature is going to be seriously overhauled in a future build. On the next build, it should work as it did in the past, but after that, it will change considerably. Basically, we had to learn the hard way that modeling everything in XSD is just not at all productive. So rather than trying to import to a model and not being able to support a lot of XSDs, we will import the actual XSD files and reference them from the model.

Give this some thought and let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to elaborate and have a conversation about this. I'll create a new thread if we need to.

Don
Jul 16, 2007 at 6:01 AM

we will import the actual XSD files and reference them from the model.

A scenario question: When referencing the XSD / WSDL / "Arbitrary File Format" files from the model, what will happen when the referenced file changes in the background for some kind off reason? Will the model automatically be updated or are the model and the referenced file auto off sync, and does the model need to be updated by hand?
Jul 16, 2007 at 7:34 AM
Well, the way we intend to reference XSD files will not be arbitrary - it will be explicit. In other words, you couldn't just reference any file ... well, you could, but you would have to change the factory first. The only thing stored in the model would be a reference to the file and <xs:Element> or <xs:ComplexType> in the XSD. The moniker will probably look something like xsd://SolutionFolderName/Path/FileName.xsd:ComplexTypeName

A model validation rule will ensure the reference is still valid before trying to generate code in case the file was changed or deleted. If the reference becomes invalid for some reason, it is the responsibility of the user to fix it. The factory won't be able to know what invalidated it.

Does that help?