Can I use WSSF without IIS hosting?

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum
May 17, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Hello.

My primary concerns with using IIS as the service host, is performance issues. Our system runs in a local network, and speed is an issue (we need responses in under 1 second). The primary attraction of WCF, for us, is the combination of ease of development, with the ability to use faster protocols, such as net-tcp. I am worried about performance issues of using HTTP.

I have two questions.
1. Can I use the WSSF guidance pack somehow to create a non-IIS service host? I would prefer to use Windows Services.
2. Am I correct in my assessment that using WCF over IIS as opposed to Windows Services will result in a visible performance impact, on a LAN with 20-50 concurrent users?

Thanks in Advance,
Assaf.
May 18, 2007 at 11:16 AM
  1. You should be able to use either host, since the services in WSSF are structured in such a way that you may have any kind of host (service implementation is decoupled from hosting). Just create a IIS empty web service, assign it a host responsability and you should be able to runt the host recipes on that project. In case of a Windows service, you may add the references to the implementation and the rest of the libraries (Service Contract, MC, DC, Business, etc.) and you should be fine as well.
  2. AS far as I know that is true, at least from all the benefits that you have with IIS7 and beyond, over wnd services.

Charly