ActionExecutionException when running the GenerateASMXServiceContractImplementation recipe

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum
Mar 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM
I'm getting the following exception when running the "GenerateASMXServiceContractImplementation" recipe. Is anyone else seeing this or know of a workaround?

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe GenerateASMXServiceContractImplementation. Error was: Action ImplementInterfaceMembers failed to execute:
Command "Edit.ImplementInterfaceStubsImplicitly" is not valid.. 
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Command "Edit.ImplementInterfaceStubsImplicitly" is not valid.
   at EnvDTE._DTE.ExecuteCommand(String CommandName, String CommandArgs)
   at Microsoft.Practices.SoftwareFactories.ServiceFactory.Actions.ImplementInterfaceAction.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(IAssetReference reference)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeReference.OnExecute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeMenuCommand.OnExec()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.AssetMenuCommand.Invoke() 
Developer
Mar 14, 2007 at 5:20 AM
Can you send the values used in this recipe?
And it will help iy you can send my a sample sln with this issue so I may repro and check what's going on.

Thanks,
Charly
Mar 14, 2007 at 5:20 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2007 at 5:22 PM
Steps to repro:

1)Create Data Type Person (Name,Age) using the "Create DataType" recipe

2)Create Message Types "AddPersonRequest" and "AddPersonResponse" using the "Create Message Type" recipe

3)Create Interface IAddPersonService using the "Create Service Contract" recipe

4)Run the "Implement Service Interface" recipe with the following values (all default):
*Data Types Project: "\Source\Service Interface\People.DataTypes"
*Service Contracts Project: "\Source\Service Interface\People.ServiceContracts"
*Service Contract Interface: "\Source\Service Interface\People.ServiceContracts\IAddPersonService.cs"
*Service Class Name: "AddPersonService"

5)Click "Finnish" on the "Implement Service Interface" form.

Result:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe GenerateASMXServiceContractImplementation. Error was: Action ImplementInterfaceMembers failed to execute:
Command "Edit.ImplementInterfaceStubsImplicitly" is not valid.. 
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Command "Edit.ImplementInterfaceStubsImplicitly" is not valid.
   at EnvDTE._DTE.ExecuteCommand(String CommandName, String CommandArgs)
   at Microsoft.Practices.SoftwareFactories.ServiceFactory.Actions.ImplementInterfaceAction.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(IAssetReference reference)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeReference.OnExecute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeMenuCommand.OnExec()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.AssetMenuCommand.Invoke()

I'm not sure how to send you the solution. I will try to contact you via email.

Thanks Charly!

-SteveM
Developer
Mar 14, 2007 at 10:10 PM
SteveM,

Send me your email address to charlyfriend and I will reply you so you can send me back the sln.

Thanks,
Charly
Developer
Mar 15, 2007 at 2:23 AM
I just got your sln. I'll let you know when I got something.

Thanks,
Charly
Developer
Mar 15, 2007 at 2:32 PM
I just tested your emailed solution and worked fine on my environment (I could create the service implementation "AddPersonService" class).
Just to check setup/versioning differences, here is my VS testing configuration:
Notice that I've removed some references that may not apply for this scenario.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Enterprise
Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77718-113-3000004-41060

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Architects 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Architects

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Developers 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Testers 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Testers

Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer 77718-113-3000004-41060
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer
Version 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft Recipe Framework Package 8.0
This package provides services to the guidance packages.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU (KB932232)
This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232
Mar 15, 2007 at 6:41 PM
I notice that I am not running sp1. I will get that installed and see if it fixes it.

Here is my config.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.51 (QFE.050727-5100)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77626-009-1311906-41473
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77626-009-1311906-41473
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77626-009-1311906-41473
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Enterprise Library Configuration Editor 3.0 Jan 2007 CTP
Microsoft patterns & practices Enterprise Library Configuration Editor

Extensions for Windows WF
Windows Workflow Foundation Tools for Visual Studio

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB910275)
This Hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU. \n
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Hotfix will be uninstalled automatically. \n
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910275

Microsoft Recipe Framework Package 8.0
This package provides services to the guidance packages.
Mar 15, 2007 at 7:33 PM
WOOOT! SP1 Fixed it.
Thanks again Charly!

-SteveM