Podcast and video: continue?

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 16, 2007 at 9:34 AM
I haven't received any feedback on the podcast and video pages. Have you checked it out yet? Is it something I should continue? I mean, I know I've only done a few of them, so I'm just looking for some initial feedback. Too long? Too short? Waste of your time? Were hoping for something else? Got a better idea? What?

I'm still trying to find time to do more tutorial-type videos. I have gotten positive feedback on them. I promise to do more as soon as I update my Camtasia license :) which is hopefully soon.

Thanks,
Don
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Don,

These are great! I am looking everyday, if there are new clips available. ;-) Please produce more whenever you have a time...

Alexander
Feb 16, 2007 at 12:02 PM
Don,

If I recall correctly from one of your blog cast, you mention that you will explain in further more about modification of the guidance packages.

I am currently looking for a workaround for xml data type as I cannot move forward. I know what part of the code I have to modify and do it by hand but I am not sure how to modify WCF guidance packages to automate this. Or to be honest I am afraid to go and exploring more guidance package modifications as I fear that it’s another Pandora box that I am going to open.

So, pod/video cast covering guidance modification induction and some details for WCF would be great help for me!!!

Alexander
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:44 PM
The tutorial videos are great. I've watched them a few times and am about to do so again because I've been away from wssf since november. As a teaching tool, I think videos are the best way.

I just watched the last 2 and they were good.

I guess the key for you is to get set up so it's easy to produce one and then getting into the habit. It's like trying to get into the habit of blogging, but more involved...

Anyway, thanks for these...definitely useful.

Kerry
Feb 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM
I just posted a message on the feedback section for the videos. I like the Domain Model and the Taxonomy idea and have commented about possible alignment/equivalence with the OASIS SOA Blueprint etc.

Hoping to hear back from you guys about the points there.

Cheers
Benjy
Feb 16, 2007 at 9:39 PM
Alexander,

The WSSF Team is working on the new WCF HOL that will include an exercise to show how to update/extend a guidance package. Hopefully that will be soon uploaded to this site and may help you out with your problem. However, feel free to start a new thread on GP updates and expose your scenario, so I may help you with the basic steps to do this.

Thanks,
Charly
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Good stuff Don, I put a blog post up with some thoughts about the last video. It's here http://weblogs.asp.net/jdanforth/archive/2007/02/16/service-factory-how-the-service-factory-guys-think.aspx

Hope I got that URL formatting right :)

/Johan
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:11 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2007 at 6:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Thanks for mentioning the HOL Charly. Alexander, the test team currently has the HOL and I've been told it will be ready to post to the site by Tuesday - probably Monday, but I'm playing it safe :)

Yeah, you're right Kerry. What's funny is I am so behind on my blogging, but I'm trying to get in the habit of doing these videos/podcasts. I'm having (internal) trouble getting our Camtasia licenses updated so I think I'll just spend the next couple of hours getting my environment setup with Windows Media Encoder (this is how I did my initial ones). Maybe I can make it work with Vista's Movie Maker. We'll see.

I saw your comment Benjy. Seemed appropriate, so I just replied underneath you :)

Great blog post Johan. I left a comment.

Thanks again,
Don
Feb 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM
Hey Don,
Thanks for getting back. I'll keep a look out for progress in this space and check out Shy Cohens article when its released.

Btw, are there any upgrades to the INTEGRATION PATTERNS guide planned to incorporate some of the new WCF, WF stuff and the web service patterns? The guide was a great resource to learn from and the followup "Applied Integration Baseline" was pretty good too. It would be useful to have more "hands on" examples like that.

There are general pointers around on when to choose BTS over WF etc but in an environment where we can possibly have all 3 bits (WCF, WF, BTS), it isnt actually very clear how to make the choice and which "service type" (in the different layers) would be better of implemented say with BTS, or with a combination of WF and WCF. (I guess it would become clear over time as the technologies mature and as we all get more experience with them but anything we can get to set us down the right path would be cool)

Keep up the great work..

Cheers,
Benjy