Wizard blows up without error message

Topics: July and December Releases Forum
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM
OK, this is getting crazy and the story is a little bit long.

I have been making some changes on a working copy of WCF guidance package(DEC). It has been working fine, but last week I installed enterprise library 3.0 and then I started to have problem with creating solution from guidance package. I used the repair option in the WCF guidance package installer. And it seems to fix the problem. I didn't touch my modified guidance package until yesterday. Then suddenly, the translator recipe that I modified looks and acts just like the standard one, though the source code definetely shows the differences. After registering/unregistering my package ended up in vain, I repair WCF guidance package again. And this time, even the original one quits working. The wizard now blows up without any error message. I had to uninstall the Dec release. My customized package now registers fine and works for a few steps, but it still blows up without giving out any error message. At least in the past, if there is any error, an error dialog would show up. And this problem seems to spread to Data Access package that I modified too, which by the way was working fine yesterday before all the mess.

Thanks. I hope somebody can shed some light. Would highly appreciate it.
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:26 PM
Regarding the EntLib issue, one option might be the registry path (HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\patterns and practices\Service Factory\EntlibBinaryPath) that is used by the Data Access package and you should update it after your upgrade to EntLib 3.0 (unless you intalled it on the same folder).
For the wizard crash, I suggest you to debug the package in order to see where is throwing the exception because this may happen when GAX cannot catch an unhandled exception and therefore the wizard blows up. If you want some hint on how to debug the package, you can take a look here: (http://blogs.msdn.com/tomholl/archive/2006/08/27/727740.aspx)

Thanks,
Charly.
Digit Factory SRL
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:59 PM
Thanks. Debugging surely helps. I found out that at run time, it was refrencing MappedProperty.cs under data access guidance package working copy, not the one that I modified under wcf package. How could this happen?

Appreciate your help.
Feb 13, 2007 at 9:16 PM
That's a rather tricky one. This happens when you update code in a shared library between packages like "SoftwareFactories.ServiceFactory" and you did not compile/register both packages. On the other hand, if you don’t want to do that for all packages that are sharing the updated library, then you may disable all packages that are using that library (in this case only WCF Guidance Package) and leave enabled Data Access GP. This way you ensure that GAX will only load the updated version of the shared library. BTW, this issue is because GAX loads the first reference that find and in this case is the one from WCF GP (not Data Access GP) therefore you are getting the old (original) version of your shared library.
Let me know if I was clear enough.

Thanks,
Charly.
Digit Factory SRL