Centralized proxy

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM

All,

I have couple of wcf services sitting on different servers. I want to make a centralized proxy on one front end where all the clients will be making calls.

And this proxy will be the actual one making calls to WCF services. This proxy as well as the WCF services will be in a trusted domain. One requirement of this is that external ppl will not be in domain and hence we cant issue a kerberos token. Hence we want a centralized proxy service.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

I was looking at Service Locator pattern and Intermediary Router.

Am i on the correct path? Any ideas/suggestions.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM

You may use the Service Locator pattern or the Intermediary Router pattern with some security and privacy considerations.

You also have the Perimeter Service Router pattern that provides an external interface on the perimeter network for internal Web services. It accepts messages from external applications and routes them to the appropriate Web service on the private network.

The Trusted Facade Service will also allows you to flow the caller's identity information from one service to another using Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) security infrastructure.

If you want to experiment with the upcoming Azure Services Platform, you may take a look at the .NET Service Bus. Using the Service Bus, an application or service can expose and access endpoints that would otherwise be hard or impossible to reach. For example, the endpoints may be located behind network address translation (NAT) boundaries or bound to frequently changing, dynamically assigned IP addresses

There's also an MSDN Magazine article about the topic.