WSSF and accessing to existing DB

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Hello,

I have finished the hands-on tutorial (Blue Yonder AirLines) and I've learned cool stuff I've never seen before... I have also understood I cannot use LINQ to  SQL and I'm really sad about that... what about accessing to an existing DB and it's store procedure?? is it simple or have I to map it and becaming mad to access to the store procedure?

Thanks in advance

Paolo

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Edited Jun 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Paolo,

Correct me if I'm missing something but as far as I know, WSSF let you choose whatever ORM implementation you want to map your business entities to your repository since it only acts as a service "facade-like" modeler as you may had noticed by looking at the three built in models (DC, SC and Host).

According to this, you can add your preferred business and data access logic in the business and repository projects included in the solution structure generated by WSSF.

Regards,

Hernan

PS: You can also stay tunned to the Data Access Guidance site that will show how to build data access layers that use common patterns like Repository and Unit of Work using Microsoft's data access technologies (as the home page describes).

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Paolo, I'm interested in what you heard or read that gave you the impression you couldn't use LINQ to SQL. Do you remember where you got that impression?

Thanks,
Don

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Microsoft has stopped future investment in the Linq to SQL. Instead, the future investment will go to LINQ to Entity, even though the Linq to SQL will still be supported. This is published in the book "Application Architecture Guide 2.0".

By the way Don, I haven't seen a full working video on the WebService Software Factory in action, can you please make one? Thanks,

Jeff