Installation Issue

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:31 AM
I have been trying to install the WSSF:ME (Feb 2008 release) and the installation file is telling me it can't find Visual Studio 2008.  I have Visual Studio Team System 2008 (Developer Edition) installed on a Vista machine.  I did notice on the "System Requirements" page, this factory requires VS2008 Professional Edition or VS2008 Team Suite, but surely this factory wouldn't be limited to a handful of VS editions?  Does anybody know if it is possible to install this factory with VS2008 Developer Edition?  Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Aug 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM
Hi, there shouldn't be any issues with that VS version since it doesn't have significant changes from the Professional Edition. Can you please confirm that you have succesfully installed the latest SDK (2008)? It could be a possible reason why the installer is failing.

Thanks!
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM
Thanks for your response.  I downloaded and installed the latest VS2008 SDK.  I followed the install instructions that came with WSSF:ME but I am still getting an error saying it can't find VS2008.  I might try to Source Code install next.

Thanks.
Aug 22, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Ok, let us know how that goes. One last shot on the binary installation: have you tried running the msi as an Administrator? Some msi may fail in Vista when they are not run with elevated permissions.

Thanks
Aug 24, 2008 at 11:17 PM
Ok, I tried the source code install option ... that failed for me also.  There were numerous errors when I tried to build the solution and because I didn't have much time to sort through it, I just left it.  So I tried the "Run as Administrator" option ... only I didn't get that option when I Right+Clicked on the file.  After a bit of searching around I found that if I ran the file from a batch file (just created a .bat file), I got the option to run the batch file as an adminstrator.  And once I was able to do that, the WSSF:ME installed with no problems (I just need to create a project to test that if fully works). 

Thanks very much for your help with this.