How to Upgrade to VS2008 SP1 Beta and Customize?

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I had a working setup with the Source installation. I upgraded by:

1. Unregestering the factory
  2. Uninstalling GAT
  3. Uninstalling GAX
  4. Uninstalling the VS SDK
  5. Installing VS2008 SP1 beta
  6. Installing the VS2008 SP1 beta SDK
  7. Installing the GAX
  8. Installing GAT
  9. Resetting the experimental hive
  10. Building the factory
  11. Registering the factory
  12. Starting VS in the experimental hive

I then get the following exception on starting up in the experimental hive:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.GetRegistryKey(Guid PackageGuid, Boolean registering)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService.ReadRegistryData()
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VSTemplatesService..ctor(RegistryKey currentVsRegistryKey)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage.OnCreateService(IServiceContainer container, Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.GetService(Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.System.IServiceProvider.GetService(Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.Site.GetService(Type service)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceHelper.CheckDependencies(Object component, IServiceProvider provider)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ComponentModel.ServiceHelper.CheckDependencies(IComponent component)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage.OnCreateService(IServiceContainer container, Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.GetService(Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage.Initialize()

Any ideas?

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM
This may be a generic GAT issue, so I posted it here.