WSSF Open Source NotInstalledException

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Sep 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I've download the Aug 23 CTP into a Win7 image running VS2010 Ultimate.  I can compile the solution both debug and release.  I first tried to run in experimental mode using the debug build. I created a new model project then right-clicked to add a model.  When I selected any of the models I got an error that reads “Un supported project kind” and the menu item disappears after the error.

I then tried compiling the release version, installed all three extensions and repeated the same steps as above.  When I selected the model I got an additional error, both errors show below:

1.) Exception of Type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.NotInstalledException' was thrown

2.) Un supported project kind

Nothing in the event log.  I was able to run the unit tests with 3 failures but they did not appear to be hard failures.

What tools and/or logging information is to get some idea of what's going wrong?

Thanks.

Tim

Developer
Oct 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Hi Tim,

Did you check that you have GAX installed or any other requierement listed in the source installer ? (release 1-6-2011)

System Requirements
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate or Premium)
• Visual Studio 2010 SDK
• Guidance Automation Extensions 2010
• Guidance Automation Toolkit 2010
• Visual Studio 2010 Visualization and Modeling SDK

You can also trace VS errors with /Log option (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=VS.100).aspx)

Regards,

Hernan

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Hi Hernan,

I thought the Open Source version didn’t require GAX, true? I will run the /Log option and see what I find. Also not positive the Guidance Automation Toolkit 2010 was installed, but, I thought it was. I’ll check those things.

Thanks.

Tim

Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 10:46 AM
To: Tim Hennessy
Subject: Re: WSSF Open Source NotInstalledException [servicefactory:274427]

Hi Tim,

Did you check that you have GAX installed or any other requierement listed in the source installer ? (release 1-6-2011)

System Requirements
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate or Premium)
• Visual Studio 2010 SDK
• Guidance Automation Extensions 2010
• Guidance Automation Toolkit 2010
• Visual Studio 2010 Visualization and Modeling SDK

You can also trace VS errors with /Log option (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=VS.100).aspx)

Regards,

Hernan

Developer
Oct 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Tim,

You are right, the Open Souce does not requires GAX so there's no need for it.

It was my mistake with the Aug 27 CTP which is not the Open source but the latest release of the binary version.

Let me know if you find some further error/log information or you can even run the debug version and check the stack trace for details.

Thanks,

Hernan 

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Hi, /Log did not help with any information but I suspect this is an operator-doesn’t-have-a-clue error L

Without the GAX installed, what solution/project types should be used to create the datacontracts and service models? The error I was getting was when I attempted to add DataContracts to a modeling project. I can add Data Contracts to other project types like a WCF service but WSSF doesn’t link in the projectmapping.xml file.

I think this is what I’m doing wrong. I started with a solution/project of type “modeling Projects”. I need to add another project type to successfully use the DSL templates (datacontracts, servicemodels) but I’m not sure which one it is. It has to be one where the ProjectMapping.xml is updated when you add the WCF software factory projects but I can’t seem to figure this out. Is this relationship outside of the GAX (projectmappings.xml) explained somewhere? I tried adding a WCF service which has no problem adding in the templates but it’s not wired to the projectmapping.xml file.

If you could summarize how you start a solution/project when there is no GAX

1.) Create a solution and add a modeling project (I’m not sure this is even necessary)s

2.) Add ?? what kind of project

3.) Then add a “Data Contract”

4.) Then add a “Service Contract”

5.) Once the service is defined, Add a WCF Service Factory Implementation project

Appreciate the help,

Tim

Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 11:43 AM
To: Tim Hennessy
Subject: Re: WSSF Open Source NotInstalledException [servicefactory:274427]

Tim,

You are right, the Open Souce does not requires GAX so there's no need for it.

It was my mistake with the Aug 27 CTP which is not the Open source but the latest release of the binary version.

Let me know if you find some further error/log information or you can even run the debug version and check the stack trace for details.

Thanks,

Hernan

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM
For others struggling to come up to speed on this, after adding a WSSF implementation project i had to manually populate the project mapping table using the right click functionality. Not sure if this is because of the Open Source or some other issue

Developer
Oct 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Hi Tim,

Let me go first with the creation steps that you asked in the previous post.

In order to add a modeling file, you may use any of these options:

1. Right click on you sln node and select Add\New Service Factory WCF Service... (or ASMX Service...)
  2. Add a new C# or VB project type (Web or Library) but NOT a Modeling project. I know this may sound a bit weird but makes sense since the WSSF models are not actual UML models (we didn't want to mix models under this project type). You will also notice that if the project accepts the WSSF models will show up on the Add... menu the three options for adding each model. Otherwise you will not see these options so you don;t need to open the New Item... option and add the models from there (or will get the known exception).

Notice that Option #1 will create all the project hierarchy and will update the mapping table. On the other hand option #2 will only create that project (as usual) and will NOT update the mapping table.

So once you added all your models (DC, SC and Impl) you can wire up (in case of option #2) with your actual projects. You can use the menu option (right click over the sln folder which contains your projs) or simply opening the mapping table and adding the entries manually (I would recomend the menu option way).

Let me know If I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Hernan