Generating Business Entities, Data Access, Etc

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Apr 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Maybe I am missing something here but did the ability to generate your business entities, Stored Procs and Data Access go away with this version. I really liked this functionality in the last version of the Factory and can't seem to figure out how to do this int he current version.

Am I missing something fundamental ?
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM
P&P has decided to remove this as part of the introduction of the WSSF : Modeling Edition. After collecting loads of feedback from the community, it appeared that most architectures do follow the service layer structure, but there is a lot of variantion in the lower layers. Some use an OR/M like NHibernate, some have only a business layer. Others use Fowler's Transaction Script or Active Record, etc., etc. However, you are free to use something like P&P's repository factory (see http://www.codeplex.com/RepositoryFactory). It is based on the pieces that were removed from the v2 factory.
Apr 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM
Ok, this makes some sense. I previously used an ORM tool for data access but moved to use the repository factory due to it being included with all those nice recipies for generating from DB, Creating Stored Procs, etc.

If I use the Repository Factory, does it include the recipies I have grown to love ? Can they be used alongside the Modeling edition without stepping on toes ?

Thanks for the reply !

dennisdoomen wrote:
P&P has decided to remove this as part of the introduction of the WSSF : Modeling Edition. After collecting loads of feedback from the community, it appeared that most architectures do follow the service layer structure, but there is a lot of variantion in the lower layers. Some use an OR/M like NHibernate, some have only a business layer. Others use Fowler's Transaction Script or Active Record, etc., etc. However, you are free to use something like P&P's repository factory (see http://www.codeplex.com/RepositoryFactory). It is based on the pieces that were removed from the v2 factory.

Developer
Apr 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM
Yes, the should include all the former recipes in the former package included in WSSF v2 (Dec2006).