Combining WCSF and WSSF ME

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Mar 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM
Hi,

We have started off analysing the suitability of combining WSSF ME and WCSF for our projects. We will like to profit from your experiences!

Has anyone had experiences in combining WSSF ME with WCSF?

If so, can you provide us with a simple recipe as to:

1) setting up
2) calling WSSF ME services from WCSF modules

We will appreciate your help or any pointers as to how we can accomplish this as fast as possible.

Thanks a lot,
Fru.
Developer
Mar 4, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Here you have a links that guive some guidance on integrating WCSF+WSSF:

http://www.codeplex.com/websf/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Creating%20the%20reference%20implementation%20using%20WCSF%20and%20WSSF

Notice that they may not be updated to the lates VS2008 version so take it with a grain of salt. However the may be useful as a head start on this.
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM
We already went through that document! It showed us that it was possible in integrating WCSF+WSSF, but the problem was that the document is based on an older version of WSSF than the one we had installed (WSSF ME). The documents talks about many recipes, which we just cannot access in our current version. A very simple setup (a la "Hello World") is missing here i.e.

1) a minimal WCSF automated application with at most two modules;
2) a single web service realisation with WSSF ME;
3) exposing the web service
4) accesing the web service from the websiteof the WCSF generated application

We have worked through the hands-on lab but still do not know how to do a suitable setup of the modules of the different projects!

The videos about WSSF are great! Sadly they have not be updated to the ME version! Many features (recipes) are not accessible in this version - and we do not know, if they are missing (removed) or wether they have been moved to other projects...

Might be we can sort the material together, so that someone starting off with WCSF+WSSF can witness some early successes an not be overwehlmed by the mass of (useful) information.

We will appreciate a lot, if we could get some guidance in this direction.

Thanks,
Fru.

charlyfriend wrote:
Here you have a links that guive some guidance on integrating WCSF+WSSF:

http://www.codeplex.com/websf/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Creating%20the%20reference%20implementation%20using%20WCSF%20and%20WSSF

Notice that they may not be updated to the lates VS2008 version so take it with a grain of salt. However the may be useful as a head start on this.

Developer
Mar 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Despite the fact that this doc is still not updated for the current releases, you can start creating a new solution with WSSF:ME (check Building Hands-on lab if needed) and add the required projects from a solution created with WCSF. So in this case, the client won't be the winform app included in the WCF/ASMX templates but your created Web Client.
Following this path you should get a quick head start and then you can follow each documentation in order to get the rest of the complete solution.
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:57 AM
Thanks a lot! That's exactly what we did; but we still have the issue of suitably invoking the operations of the service.

Say you created "ServiceC.operationA()" which you will like to invoke from a module "moduleA" of WCSF.

moduleA provides an Interface "IModuleA" serving as an Agent for "ServiceC".

What is the setup and invocation call you require to enable moduleAs implementation of IModuleA to access "ServiceC.operationA()"?
This must be fairly easy! But we haven't just had that right.

Thanks a lot,
Fru

charlyfriend wrote:
Despite the fact that this doc is still not updated for the current releases, you can start creating a new solution with WSSF:ME (check Building Hands-on lab if needed) and add the required projects from a solution created with WCSF. So in this case, the client won't be the winform app included in the WCF/ASMX templates but your created Web Client.
Following this path you should get a quick head start and then you can follow each documentation in order to get the rest of the complete solution.

Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Ok, so what you can do is wrap the service instantiation and operations into a "Service Agent" class that may have a global scope or simply inside a module and opaque to the rest of the applicaiton so that module will be the only one to dialog with that agent and in turn with the service. So in this case the question focus on creating the SA and in turn the client proxy. The way to create the proxy follows the same steps in the host model - client application options.
Now if you select a dll as a client (assuming that dll is your module that will get the cleint proxy) you will also get a config file for that module. In practice this won't work becasue you need to place all your config settings in your web.config file hosted in your main web client app. So you simply move the config sections generated for your module to your web.config file and you should be good to go.

Notice that if you also want to share your contract (DC types) between modules, you can generate only your proxy class and reference your DC library used in your service by running the cmd line tool "svcutil.exe" passing your DC asms as arguments along with your WSDL url.
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. We will be looking into it in the next few days. For the moment we resorted to simple web services in realizing the service agents. However, the design is such that we can replace them with proxy classes generated from WSSF ME in future.

Thanks for the information about svcutil.exe (but what an overhead it was to acquire just this one executable - downloading an installing the complete .NET 3.5 SDK). When you are working against time, this can be a very painfull undertaking - some modularization at the tools levels is required here!

Thanks,
Fru.

charlyfriend wrote:
Ok, so what you can do is wrap the service instantiation and operations into a "Service Agent" class that may have a global scope or simply inside a module and opaque to the rest of the applicaiton so that module will be the only one to dialog with that agent and in turn with the service. So in this case the question focus on creating the SA and in turn the client proxy. The way to create the proxy follows the same steps in the host model - client application options.
Now if you select a dll as a client (assuming that dll is your module that will get the cleint proxy) you will also get a config file for that module. In practice this won't work becasue you need to place all your config settings in your web.config file hosted in your main web client app. So you simply move the config sections generated for your module to your web.config file and you should be good to go.

Notice that if you also want to share your contract (DC types) between modules, you can generate only your proxy class and reference your DC library used in your service by running the cmd line tool "svcutil.exe" passing your DC asms as arguments along with your WSDL url.