2008 DSL is not recongnising in 2010

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Aug 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Hi,

How are you? I am working on remodeling WSSF 2010 as per the our business requirements. As part of that, due to some tool dependency, I would like to use my OLD DSL(which was built in 2008) in to VS 2010/.Net 4.0 to create service. So, I have modified the the WIX packagae to install the DSL for 2010 (I did not touch any part in DSL, only modified installer project). Just I have replaced the registry structure as per VS 2010. Previously It was "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects\", now I had changed to "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Projects\". I did not do any more changes.

Now VS 2010 is able to recognise the packge and able to build service contract using the DSL. But the problem is, If I close the application and open again, then package is not able to view as designer, it is opening as XML format. I am not able to continue to do changes with existing one. I have to create new designer diagram to proceed. I am not able to open existing service contracts.  But the DSL was working very well in VS 2008..

Could any body help on this issue? this is most priority job for me.

Thank in advance.

Regards,

Kiran.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:23 AM

HI,

Did you try opening the model with right clicking on the model file and selecting open as xx contract model desinger (usaully first option at the top) ?

On the other hand, notice that WSSF 2010 now use the vsix installer (not wix) so perhaps you don;t need to update any registry key since vsix installer makes deployment a bit easier.

Note: Stay tunned for next refresh version of WSSF 2010 that will be out today very soon this week.

Regards,

Hernan 

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hi Hernandelahitte,

Thank you for reply, As it was older version DSL(Built on VS 2008/.Net 3.5), and I am not much familer with VSIX installer to created, the older verson we had with WIX installer, so I continued that by upgrading registry.

Could you provide me detail about creating VSIX Installer for my DSL.

Your help is appriciate.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Here you have some links for that: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb126257.aspx, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/06/09/vsix-best-practices.aspx

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Thank you for quick reply. Is it possible to include VS 2008 built  DSL and DSL Package?

It seems, visx will support .Net 4.0 supported DSL and DSL packages.

Thanks in advance

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You are right. In order to use vsix you first need to migrate your DSL projects into VS2010. You have a tool for migrating DSL into 2010. You can try on your own but I warn you that there may be some other details to consider on the migration which is not that easy as it should.

I would recommend two options.

Option A:  Stick with your customozed 2008 version and keep the wix twiking.

Option B:  Move to 2010 version and update the new code with your changes (in case you have documented all your changes).

Regarding option B, the effort should consider how big are your updated code base. The good news is that broadly speaking, the core (models, validator, code gen) are mostly intact so it should not affect much your code migration effort.

Regards,

Hernan