Cannot install VS2008 Edition again. Please help

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Feb 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM
Abe,
I really want this to work as I love the modeling edition but unforunately neither of the last 2 VS2008 versions will install for me. The last one gave an error that suggested it had to be installed as Admin as a workaround. Not only do I ran as Admin, but I created the workaround batch file where I ran the install from an admin console to no avail.

Now the latest "Error 1001: Unable to get installer types in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7...\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.GuidancePackage.Installer.dll assembly -> Unable to load one or more of the requested types."

Please help as I want to demo this weekend.
Feb 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Hi Sam,

This is typically because one of the GAX assemblies isn't installed correctly or you have the wrong version of GAX. Other's have had the same issue, here are a couple of threads on solving it, typically by reinstalling GAX:

http://www.codeplex.com/servicefactory/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=17655
http://www.shaune.net/blog/20070801_archive.html

You can also verify exactly what isn't loading using the FUSLOGVW.EXE tool to look for assembly load errors. There's some info on it here (I'm going to write a step by step blog post on this as it seems pretty common):

http://www.ademiller.com/blogs/tech/2008/01/gotchas-fusion-log-viewer-your-best-friend-for-assembly-load-errors/

Let me know how you get on. The weather here is terrible so I'll be online most of the weekend on and off.

Ade

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM

This is typically because one of the GAX assemblies isn't installed correctly or you have the wrong version of GAX. Other's have had the same issue, here are a couple of threads on solving it, typically by reinstalling GAX:

Ade

I tried tracked down the file RecipeFramework.xml in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework folder from the www.shane.post but I don't have access to that directory on Vista and can't seem to take ownership. In other words, I cannot do this step:
. Remove your custom packages from the XML file.
-Go into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\RecipeFramework.xml
-Remove all of the <GuidancePackage> elements from the file then save the file.
Feb 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM
I can't uninstall GAX even doing all this here http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=8562

sgentile wrote:

Ade

I tried tracked down the file RecipeFramework.xml in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework folder from the www.shane.post but I don't have access to that directory on Vista and can't seem to take ownership. In other words, I cannot do this step:
-Go into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\RecipeFramework.xml

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Ok, I just spent the last 2 hours manually uninstalling GAX/GAT using all the links you gave me. I nuked it with msizap. I manually removed all the registry keys, I wiped out the directories. I reinstalled everythiing and same results!! I quit....

sgentile wrote:
I can't uninstall GAX even doing all this here http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=8562

sgentile wrote:

Ade

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Can you tell what's not getting loaded from the FUSLOGVW.EXE application?

1) Start a VS Command prompt
2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
3) Clear the log (Delete ALL).
4) In settings make sure that it's set to log all bind failures to disk
5) Set the Log Categories to Native images
6) Run VS to repro
7) See the error (don't dismiss the dialog)
8) In FUSLOGVW hit Refresh

You should see some new entires for devenv.exe. These will tell you which assemblies failed to load.
You should see some
Feb 10, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Well before I do that :) I wiped out all the registry keys for Guidance Automation, deleted the directories and rebooted. Now I installed Guidance Automation Extensions July. So far so god. Then when I try to install GAT, it says that GAX is not installed and brings me to a download page! So now I cannot install Web Services Software Factory to replicate.

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some new entires for devenv.exe. These will tell you which assemblies failed to load.
You should see some

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM
Fixed that by
The GAT installer is looking for a specific registry entry which is

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\InstalledProducts\RecipeManagerPackage\Package

that registry should exists and it should have "{77d93a80-73fc-40f8-87db-acd3482964b2}" as value.

sgentile wrote:
Well before I do that :) I wiped out all the registry keys for Guidance Automation, deleted the directories and rebooted. Now I installed Guidance Automation Extensions July. So far so god. Then when I try to install GAT, it says that GAX is not installed and brings me to a download page! So now I cannot install Web Services Software Factory to replicate.

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Note, GAX/GAT July 2007 CTP was released for VS2008 Beta 2 only.
The final release for VS2008 RTM is coming next week.
Grigori
Feb 10, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Ok I got it installed! But when I bring up VS2008, I get a lot of entries under File | New Project | Service Factory: Modeling Edition. Clicking any of them, including Model or ModelProject, produces "REciepe Framework Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: serviceProvider

sgentile wrote:
Fixed that by

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\InstalledProducts\RecipeManagerPackage\Package

that registry should exists and it should have "{77d93a80-73fc-40f8-87db-acd3482964b2}" as value.

sgentile wrote:

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some

Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Sam,

Are you running both VS2005 and VS2008 on the same box? I ask because it looks like the registry entries is pointing to 8.0 hive and not the 9.0 hive from the link above. I think the release of GAT/GAX will only target one of the versions at a time.

-b
Feb 10, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM
Yes, but I told it to target VS2008 when I installed it (VS9.0 has the same key). I guess the problem is that its for Beta 2. How hokey is that? VS2008 has been out for over a month. I guess I have to wait now.
Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM
Can you create an environment that has only VS2008 + WSSF:ME?

Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Sam,

Just went back throught the thread a bit and noticed you had got somethig working. When opening the factory, are you creating the new project from 'Guidance Packages' area?

-b

sgentile wrote:
Ok I got it installed! But when I bring up VS2008, I get a lot of entries under File | New Project | Service Factory: Modeling Edition. Clicking any of them, including Model or ModelProject, produces "REciepe Framework Error: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: serviceProvider

sgentile wrote:
Fixed that by

sgentile wrote:

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM
Thanks for replying. Yes I am.

brumfb wrote:
Sam,

Just went back throught the thread a bit and noticed you had got somethig working. When opening the factory, are you creating the new project from 'Guidance Packages' area?

-b

sgentile wrote:

sgentile wrote:
Fixed that by

sgentile wrote:

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM
You should see another group under New Project called Guidance Packages with project types in it. The "File | New Project | Service Factory: Modeling Edition" items should be ignored (we tried to hide these from the user completely but it turned out to be quite hard).

Does you install have any other new project types?

Ade

sgentile wrote:

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:47 PM
Ok something is messed up here. I have File | New Project | Service Factory: Modeling Edition which has a whole mess of templates all of which give the error. Then I have File | New Project | Other Project Types | Service Factory: Modeling Edition which correctly only has the Model Project although the bitmap looks corrupted. Clicking on it brings up a what looks like to be a model node but then right-licking on it doesn't have any modeling entries and there is none under the Tools menu.

sgentile wrote:
Thanks for replying. Yes I am.

brumfb wrote:
Sam,

-b

sgentile wrote:

sgentile wrote:
Fixed that by

sgentile wrote:

AdeMiller wrote:

2) Run FUSLOGVW.EXE
6) Run VS to repro

You should see some

Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM
I'm going from memory here, but after you create a new Web Service Software Factory project from the Guidance Package area, you should get a solution with a single project. This project is the model project. You should be able to right click this project, select Add New... and be able to add a Data Contract, Service Contract, or Host model. Is this what you are seeing?

-b
Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM
Okay, just got into my work machine so I don't have to work from memory.

Here's what I would expect you to be able to do to get started:

File|New|Project...|Guidance Packages|Service Factory: Modeling Edition|Model Project this should create a new solution with an ssfprodut project type. You should be able to right click this project and Add|New Project... to get a dialog that will let you select a model project type.

Is this what you are seeing?

{quote}
sgentile wrote:
Ok something is messed up here. I have File | New Project | Service Factory: Modeling Edition which has a whole mess of templates all of which give the error. Then I have File | New Project | Other Project Types | Service Factory: Modeling Edition which correctly only has the Model Project although the bitmap looks corrupted. Clicking on it brings up a what looks like to be a model node but then right-licking on it doesn't have any modeling entries and there is none under the Tools menu.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM
I do that and I get a new solution with Project.ssfproduct but right-click has no options to Add the Data Contract, etc. It has Unit Tests, Cut, Rename, Remmove. Its as if the Guidance stuff is not installed because it doesn't know what to do with the ssfproduct type. There is also no Guidance stuff in the Tools menu.

{quote}
brumfb wrote:

File|New|Project...|Guidance Packages|Service Factory: Modeling Edition|Model Project this should create a new solution with an ssfprodut project type. You should be able to right click this project and Add|New Project... to get a dialog that will let you select a model project type.

sgentile wrote:

Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:31 PM
Can you check to see if the GuidancePackage is enabled? Go to Tools|Guidance Package Manager see if the WSSF:ME Guidance Package is enabled. If not, press the enabled button and see if you can enable it.

-b

{quote}
sgentile wrote:
I do that and I get a new solution with Project.ssfproduct but right-click has no options to Add the Data Contract, etc. It has Unit Tests, Cut, Rename, Remmove. Its as if the Guidance stuff is not installed because it doesn't know what to do with the ssfproduct type. There is also no Guidance stuff in the Tools menu.

{quote}
brumfb wrote:

{
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:34 PM
Thats the point. There is <bold>NO Guidance Package Manager</bold> in Tools.

{quote}
brumfb wrote:
Can you check to see if the GuidancePackage is enabled? Go to Tools|Guidance Package Manager see if the WSSF:ME Guidance Package is enabled. If not, press the enabled button and see if you can enable it.

-b

{quote}
sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

{

Developer
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Can you make sure the Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage appears in Tools | Package Load Analyser?

If it does, we can try reseting the menu's to see if this will appear by closing all VS instances and running 'devenv /setup' from a visual studio command prompt.

-b

{quote}
sgentile wrote:

{quote}
brumfb wrote:

-b

sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

{

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM
It does not.

{quote}
brumfb wrote:
Can you make sure the Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage appears in Tools | Package Load Analyser?

If it does, we can try reseting the menu's to see if this will appear by closing all VS instances and running 'devenv /setup' from a visual studio command prompt.

-b

{quote}
sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

-b

sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

{

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM
I want ti thank all of you for taking time on your weekend to help me. I am still not able to get any further though and reinstalls don't change anything. I don't know if the registry tree got hosed when I manually deleted things but I can't get it to work. Are there any more things to try?

{quote}
sgentile wrote:
It does not.
Developer
Feb 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM
Hi Sam,

Si if you said that Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeManagerPackage does not appears in Tools | Package Load Analyser, then something with GAX installation went wrong, so try reinstalling GAX/GAT so you should see the above option and then try checking the rest.
Developer
Feb 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM
So based on what your describing, it appears that GAX/GAT 1.3 is still not installed correctly for VS2008. As Grigori pointed out, this was only really targeted to VS2008 Beta 2 and we know there are some issues with the VS2005 and VS2008 side by story and GAX. There has been success with using this on VS2008 RTM if VS2005 is not installed, but again this wasn't the target for 1.3, so one option is to create an environment with only VS2008 and WSSF:ME with GAX 1.3.

If you need to clean up your environment to uninstall GAX 1.3 to try to reinstall in a VS2008-only environment, you can try:

1. Unregister or uninstall all existing guidance packages:
    1. Unregister all previously registered guidance packages from within Visual Studio. Open each guidance package solution, right click on the guidance package project node and select “Unregister.” Note that you cannot unregister a guidance package if you have already deleted its source code.
    2. Uninstall all guidance packages originally installed using MSIs. You can either rerun the original MSI used to install the guidance package or use Add/Remove Programs. Please make sure there are no open instances of Visual Studio before performing this step. If an MSI fails to uninstall you will need to use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) to remove it.
  2. If you received any errors while performing the above steps this means that not all of your guidance packages could be properly unregistered or uninstalled. You can run the GaxTroubleshooter (http://softwarefactoriestoolkit.net/GaxTroubleshooter.zip) via the command line. This will help you identify what's still installed. In the near future, this will support a /RemovePackages switch, which will remove all remaining guidance packages.
  3. At this point you should uninstall GAX from Add/Remove Programs. If this fails you will need to run GaxTroubleshooter again, this time using the /RemoveGax switch, which will remove GAX from your system.

If you can wait a few days, GAX/GAT 1.4 should be out and that will resolve the VS2008 and VS2005 side-by-side issues. They will use the above steps to help get 1.3 into a known-state and be able to upgrade to 1.4.

{quote}
sgentile wrote:
I want ti thank all of you for taking time on your weekend to help me. I am still not able to get any further though and reinstalls don't change anything. I don't know if the registry tree got hosed when I manually deleted things but I can't get it to work. Are there any more things to try?

sgentile wrote:
It does not.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM
Not to be impatient.. but do you know when exactly GAX/GAT 1.4 will be out? =)

In VS 2008 RTM, I'm able to view the design window (is that the correct term?) and add new Service Contracts, Services, etc. and Validate. I can also see Tools -> Guidance Package Manager, but I get an exception when enabling Service Factory Modeling Edition. Is this error what 1.4 will be fixing?

Now just to add 1 last thing, it seems that installing GAX 1.3 also breaks creating any new project. The status bar says "Creating Project... project creation failed" when I try creating a new project.
Developer
Feb 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM
Should be out next week or anytime soon after that. Regarding 2008, I know GAX 1.3 has some issues with that so a safe environment for the time being is VS2005+GAX 1.3 or a minor fix of GAX 1.3 that works with 2008.
Feb 18, 2008 at 4:23 AM
      • Assembly Binder Log Entry (2/18/2008 @ 12:08:05 AM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll
Running under executable C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = SGENTILE01\Administrator
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Common, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/Common7/IDE/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: Start binding of native image Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Common, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
WRN: No matching native image found.

{quote}
sgentile wrote:
It does not.

{quote}
brumfb wrote:

-b

sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

-b

sgentile wrote:

brumfb wrote:

{

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM
sgentile, i am sorry to hear that, but please calm down.

I installed vs2008 version successfully, below are my experience:
1. Uninstalled any WSSF previous version.
2. Uninstalled GAX and GAT, Be sure uninstall successfully.(if you installed Enterprise Library, maybe you must uninstall first. i don't know why, but when I uninstalled GAX, it gave error to me, Only after i uninstalled Enterprise Library3.1, GAX can be uninstalled successfully)
3.Install GAX, select Orcas.
4.install GAT
5.Install WSSF ME 2008 CTP

That's all
Good luck!
Feb 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM
What do you mean calm down? I have wasted over a dozen hours and two weekends on this.

The steps you list are the exact steps I followed, as listed on another topic and it did not work.

moplay wrote:
sgentile, i am sorry to hear that, but please calm down.

I installed vs2008 version successfully, below are my experience:
1. Uninstalled any WSSF previous version.
2. Uninstalled GAX and GAT, Be sure uninstall successfully.(if you installed Enterprise Library, maybe you must uninstall first. i don't know why, but when I uninstalled GAX, it gave error to me, Only after i uninstalled Enterprise Library3.1, GAX can be uninstalled successfully)
3.Install GAX, select Orcas.
4.install GAT
5.Install WSSF ME 2008 CTP

That's all
Good luck!

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:17 AM
Not sure whether this adds more salt to the wound but I CANNOT install it either.
I have enterprise Library 3.1
VS 2008 Team Edition for Software Developers
2008 Gat Extension.

As anybody solved this problem or is just a case you have to install vs2005 as well?
Is there a correct order or installation?
Developer
Feb 20, 2008 at 10:20 AM
As we wrote before, remember that the latest CTP(2008) works with GAX 1.3 (NOT latest 1.4)
The final release of WSSF ME Feb2008 to be released anytime soon will work with GAX 1.4

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Thanks for your post. Sorry about getting intense - just wanted to get it working. We'll wait until the final release. Thanks!

charlyfriend wrote:
As we wrote before, remember that the latest CTP(2008) works with GAX 1.3 (NOT latest 1.4)
The final release of WSSF ME Feb2008 to be released anytime soon will work with GAX 1.4