Can't install WSSF 2010 RC on VS2010 Premium

Topics: General Discussion Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
May 5, 2010 at 7:52 AM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Hi,

I have just downloaded the current release WSSF 2010 RC.

If I double click the file WSSF2010.VSIX, it is asking me for the product, I want to install this extension to. There is only one checkbox for VS2010 Ultimate, but I have VS2010 Premium installed.

If I continue the installation fails

May 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Ok I got it.

My mistake, I forgot to install GAX for my VS Installation.

It is showing that I have an ultimate Version installed, which is wrong.. but this doesn't matter.

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Thanks Marc. We've seen the same issue. I would be interested to know if you see this with all VSIX extensions. It is our understanding this is a bug with VSIX/Visual Studio. We also found it's only confusing but doesn't pose any real problems. Don
May 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Hello Don. I haven't installed much VSIX extensions yet. But I have seen the same behaviour by installing the GAX 2010.

Marc

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I have installed GAX and Visual Studio 2010 SDK, however I am still unable to install  WSSF2010.VSIX on my system.

The instalation process fails with following exceptions.

Install Error : Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.NestedExtensionInstallException: The extension 'E3821E6E-C0AD-4F8F-B300-DE95E9776716' nested within '306C9B2B-E7C7-4E03-B4E9-F62CCD292AAB' failed to install.
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. ---> System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
   at System.IO.PathHelper.Append(Char value)
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength)
   at System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(String path)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.WriteFilesToInstallDirectory(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, String installPath, ZipPackage vsixPackage, Dictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, AsyncOperation asyncOp, UInt64 totalBytesToWrite, UInt64& totalBytesWritten)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallInternal(InstallableExtensionImpl extension, Boolean perMachine, Boolean isNestedExtension, Dictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, AsyncOperation asyncOp, UInt64 totalBytesToWrite, UInt64& totalBytesWritten)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallNestedExtensions(InstallableExtensionImpl parentExtension, ZipPackage parentVSIX, Boolean perMachine, Dictionary`2 extensionsInstalledSoFar, List`1 extensionsUninstalledSoFar, AsyncOperation asyncOp, UInt64 totalBytesToWrite, UInt64& totalBytesWritten)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM
I just tried installing GAX 2010 and I see the same error during the install process.
Developer
Jul 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Hi Kw,

When you see this error (known in other installations as well, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsgalleryfeedback/thread/0e4fa648-84f9-4e93-bbb4-3de0f449b523)

Thanks,

Hernan

Developer
Jul 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM

You may also try these tips suggested in the thread: http://servicefactory.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=216613

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:49 AM
hernandelahitte wrote:

You may also try these tips suggested in the thread: http://servicefactory.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=216613

Thanks.  I actually did change the UserExtensionsRootFolder in the devenv.pkgdef file, but when I tried to install the VSIX again, it still went to the local Application Data folder on my XP system.