WCF and Crystal Reports

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Jan 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM
It had to come someday I guess. I just made some WCF services using the Software Factory. I have a few questions due to my ignorance. When you start a new solution and add a service contract and datacontract model, you are asked to put in a urn or url. I have a few questions about them,

1. do they matter (aka does the given url have to exist)?
  2. how do I use them?
  3. what's the use of the given values?

Now I put in fictional urls sense of http://www.fictionous.com/2007/12/servicecontracts/ (and likewise for datacontracts and hosts)

The whole thing works perfectly I implemented a simple client, I even updated the data contract and everything worked like a charm.

That's where Crystal Reports comes in. I need to use Crystal Reports 2008 to call my WCF webservices and make a report out of the returned values.
I can put in the url to my webservice (which is on the localhost) and it doesn't complain, I just can't select my webservice. After that I tried to change some things manually and that got Crystal Reports to crash :/

I would be in heaven if someone could enlight me about my problems and more importantly my mistakes.

Kind Regards

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM
I tried to discover another SF created WCF (it's the blueyonderairline.com example) and Crystal Reports found the service with no problems: conclusion I MUST be doing something wrong.
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM
I got it to work. I didn't fill in the Reply Action property on my Web Service Operations in the Service Contract Model. I still would like to know what it does and such. If anyone feels to help me out with it. I'd be gratefull.

SL33PY
Developer
Jan 8, 2008 at 4:55 PM
1. That' only for identification purposes and is just used as a namespace id for your elements in the contract schema generated by the service (they don't need to exist).
2. Simple follow the suggested guideline for XML namespaces (uri format) and that's it.
3. As described in #1.

The Reply Action property is to add an identifier to the Reply value in order for some clients to extract the data with the appropiate namespace. As you noticed, Crystal Reports require this attribute to be present so that's why it worked.
Jan 9, 2008 at 7:27 AM
Thank you for the explanaition Charly
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Visit       http://www.sharepointreporting.info/       I found some really good information about share point reporting systems here ,