Download old version - or what?

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:51 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM
Hi,

I have installed the new "modeling" release on a brand new PC running Vista and Framework 2.0+3.0.
I have created a new solution and added both ASMX and WCF projects. But the only menuoption available on right click (e.g. ServiceImplementation project) is "Run WCF code analysis". No options for all the factoring stuff? I cannot enable any recepies because they doesnt seem to be there running "Guidance package manager".

Do I need old version insalled first? Or is the new edition flawed? I figure I want the "old" version installed instead of this. But the only release to download on these pages are the new "modeling edition"? Cant we download the old ones anymore???
Developer
Dec 10, 2007 at 9:03 AM
Try right clicking on the Model Project (the one with the icon like an empty dialog) and select "Add", "New Model".
There you may add any of the three models so you can start from there and design your DataContracts, Services and Host model.
Dec 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM

charlyfriend wrote:
Try right clicking on the Model Project (the one with the icon like an empty dialog) and select "Add", "New Model".
There you may add any of the three models so you can start from there and design your DataContracts, Services and Host model.

Well no you misunderstand. Its possible to create models, but not standard factoring. Say you want to add repository classes for some DataAccess project. Thats not possible. I have none of these in the Guidance Package Manager:

Web Service Software Factory (ASMX)
Web Service Software Factory (Data Access)
Web Service Software Factory (WCF)

Those packages arent installed. And I cannot install the old version (found one) because the GAT errors on install.
This is truly bad - really. We have brand new Vista machines and Im supposed to setup development environments on all. Plz advice!

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Update: I got it to work so it seems.

I could not install old GAT 2006 because of error 2869. No fix could remedy this (run as Administrator etc etc). However - I could install GAX 2006. And GAT 2007. This combo allowed me to install Service Factory december 2006. This gave me all packages needed. Then I updated GAT to 2007 and newest Service Factory 2007. I need testing, but it seems ok now.

This, however, does not solve the real error: That the packages isnt installed with the newest Service Factoring. If this is a Vista thing only - I dont know, but developers must target this fast - or at least enable users to download old service factoring software. I had them lying around on the network - fortunately!!
Developer
Dec 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM
If you want DataAccess package, now is a stand alone project named Repository Factory
For ASMX and WCF you don't need two separate packages as it was with the previous version since now it's integrated in one package and it's simply a matter of choosing the technology (ASMX/WCF) you want for a specific model and you will get all code generation according to that technology.
Dec 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2007 at 1:16 PM

charlyfriend wrote:
If you want DataAccess package, now is a stand alone project named Repository Factory
For ASMX and WCF you don't need two separate packages as it was with the previous version since now it's integrated in one package and it's simply a matter of choosing the technology (ASMX/WCF) you want for a specific model and you will get all code generation according to that technology.

Edit: I'll just test some more - with the data repository I might be able to accomplish what I need. I'll post back :)
Dec 12, 2007 at 11:35 AM
Edited Dec 12, 2007 at 11:35 AM

No - it doesnt work. When I open solution with WCF projects included (generated from old software factoring) I get some errors that it cant find "Microsoft.Practices.SoftwareFactories.ServiceFactory version 1.0.0.0". Which is only part of old factoring software.

Either be backward compatible or enable the download of previous versions I would say. I cant image why that isnt a "best practice" thought?

--
Developer
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM
Check if you have enabled the old packege version and disable it.
If that's not the case, then check where you have that reference because you should be able to reuse your old solution with the new package. However, you will need to create the models from scratch and from there, you may re generate your classes.
Jan 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM
Edited Jan 2, 2008 at 10:26 AM

To be honest I just dont get this version behaviour - at all.

Lets ignore the fact that I cannot compile an "old" factory project with the new modelling edition (which I cant) - and for simplicity only focus on the missing availability of the "old" releases. Suppose I have 100 projects that was built with the "none-modelling" version and none of them are to be used under a modelling-scope. How do I setup a new PC that must maintain these projects? If I cant download the "old" releases I'm somewhat in trouble right?

Please make all releases of the factories available for download when things arent compatible. And you cant call the new modelling edition compatible if I need to rework everything.

--

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Hey Werner,

As you probably noticed on the other thread, I've just posted the v2 versions of the Service Factory. Now we don't have to ignore the fact that you can't compile and "old" factory project with the new modeling edition. I don't understand this. Any project you created with the v2 of Service Factory is just a VS solution. If you open this solution on a machine that doesn't have v2 installed (it doesn't matter if the modeling edition is installed or not) you will likely get a message telling you that it couldn't find the v2 guidance package. I think this is the message you mentioned in this thread. You should still be able to compile the project - the guidance package is just doing the wizard/code gen stuff ... it's not used when you do a build. When you see this error message, it should ask you if you want to disable this guidance package, which you do if you're not going to use v2. If you disable the package, you should not see this dialog again and you should be able to continue to work on the solution.

I hope this helps. Let me know if something wasn't clear or if I've misunderstood your scenario. Thanks,

Don
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Hi Don, I think I'm in a similar position to Werner, in that I have a solution that was built using V2 of the factory. What I want to do next is to use the latest version of the factory to add more services/web methods to the solution.

I get that I can disable the old package(s) and the code will still compile and run, but does this mean that I can just model the new parts going forward to get the code automation I need, or must I retrospectively model what's already there?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
Developer
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Carl,

You may create your models from the projects that you already have and from there, just simply build only the required parts to get your code gen or if you want, build the complete model and generate all the code from there.