Migrating from Dec 2006 to Nov 2007 software factory

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Nov 20, 2007 at 5:03 PM
Hi,

We've been working with the December 06 software factory for a while now, with a solution full of Business objects layers, hosts, data contracts and the rest. I've now installed the Nov 07 software factory, but it hasn't been how I've expected- I would have thought all the old recipes would still have been there, but obviously not. I'm left with a solution with no recipes at all.

So, how can I go about migrating my solution to the new templates/recipes? Any clues on what to do would be just wonderful.

Regards,
Rich
Developer
Nov 20, 2007 at 7:03 PM
As you noticed, this is a brand new version with a quite different approach that is "model driven" instead of the former "recipe driven" in v2 which basically means that you may build your services from the model and in this case, you should will end up creating them from scratch.
However, you still have an option to get part of your contract from your current schemas (assuming you did a contract first approach) using the XsdMessage model element and importing your schemas into the "Schemas" folder of your new solution.

Regards,
CF
Nov 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM
That is, to put it mildly, a shame. With the December 2006 release being a 'proper' release we started using it for real projects- now MS has decided to completely get rid of that way of doing it and to choose another?

I like the model driven approach, but I also liked the recipes. We will want to move to VS 2008 shortly, but I take it that we will have to stop using the recipes? I guess the December 2006 release will not be VS 2008 compatible.

:-(
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Rich, can you help me understand exactly what you want to accomplish with this new factory on your existing services? I'm not saying brownfield scenarios aren't common, I just want to understand your scenario. Thanks.
Nov 22, 2007 at 7:32 AM
Hi Don,

My scenario is that I have a solution with various projects- clients, a host, data contract, service contract and service implementation. At the moment they're using V2, so they've all got their project responsibilities and right click menus. The services are up and running but we're adding new ones, so we use the recipes for things like adding a new data contract, adding a service contract, adding an implementation, hosting the implementation, and of course adding a service reference on the client.

Having taken the 15 minute hands-on, I like the idea of V3, and would be happy to use that. All I'd like to be able to do is to carry on with my existing projects, and use those when the model does some code generation. From an initial glance it looked like I'd have to create a whole new solution using the WCF template?
I hope that clears up what I'm after- some kind of migration for solutions that are up and running (but are still in development) in V2, to V3 so we can start using all the lovely modelling stuff.

Rich
Developer
Nov 22, 2007 at 9:48 AM
Rich,

As far as I know, nothing should stop you from creating a new sln with the Modeling Edition, add your existing projects with you own folder structure, update the PMT (project mapping table) using the recipe "Populate Project Mapping Table" right cliking on the root soultion folder of your services structure and then you are ready for creating the models (for your current services and/or the new ones from that point on).

Regards,
CF
Nov 22, 2007 at 10:47 AM
Great, that sounds do-able, thanks