Error installing Modeling Edition

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:37 PM
I seem to be having similar problems to this post for the previous edition of the service factory.
http://blogs.msdn.com/donsmith/archive/2006/11/30/installing-software-factories-on-vista.aspx

However, the workaround does not work with the latest modeling edition. Here is the message in the event log.

The description for Event ID 11001 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Product: Web Service Software Factory: Modeling Edition -- Error 1001.
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

And...

Product: Web Service Software Factory: Modeling Edition -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869. The arguments are: ErrorDlg, ,
Nov 9, 2007 at 5:36 PM
I need more information to figure out that's going on here...

Can you send me the log file generated when you run MSIEXEC /log install.log /i WSSF MSI
A screen grab of the error dialog the MSI shows.
Some more information of your setup; OS and version, VS and version/SP, GAT/GAX, anything else you think might be relevant.
Which version of the installer you're using binary or source.

Send it to adem at microsoft dot com

Thanks,

Ade
Nov 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM
Just to update, the issue in fact turned out to be my fault having Guidance Extensions 1.2 installed. On a side note, this is awesome! A great example of what DSL Tools was made for IMO.
Nov 15, 2007 at 3:41 PM
So I think this is a bug in the installer. I need to investigate further but I suspect the installer checks for Guidance Extensions as one of it's prerequisites but makes no distinction between 1.2 and 1.3. It then fails later when the GP installer DLL takes a reference on the 1.3 version of one of the Guidance Extensions assemblies.

I'll get this investigated.

Ade