VS Edition Support

Topics: General Discussion Forum
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Hi,
This is just to register my disappointment at the business constraint that doesnt allow the modelling edition to be used with VS Professional. I personally am not affected at this point because my company has a corporate MSDN Premium account and i get the VS Architect edition , but there will be so many others out there who cannot benefit from this factory , esp the modelling edition now.

by any chance, is the modelling integrated with the Application Designer for Orcas ? or is that the planned direction (ie) having a custom prototype in the AD toolbox that represents factory-based services? , Even if this were the case, why spoil the fun for non TeamSuite users?

- Benjy
Oct 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM
The introduction says that the vs pro is supported. It does not say partially supported. Please some one at microsoft include complete requirements. Not requirements for each piece.
I have been having problems installing. I think I will do a lot of work to find out that I can not be using this resource.
Oct 31, 2007 at 4:30 AM
Currently the Service Factory: Modeling Edition will work on VS Pro.

Thanks,

Ade
Nov 2, 2007 at 6:07 PM
No one in there right mind is going to upgrade to Team System in order to get the Web Service Software Factory. It just isn't going to happen. If you really want developers to adopt these tools stop putting barriers in the way. Php seems more attractive by the day .... sigh
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:29 AM
I appreciate the discussion. This is great - thanks. VS Pro is fully supported in this release - both in binary and source form. We even wrote up specific instructions for building the source and a custom installer just for pro (since pro and VSTA don't support code analysis).

I agree with lad4bear that the factory as it exists today is not compelling enough to justify the extra cost of VSTS - actually, I don't know anyone that would disagree. But to answer Benjy's question, we are considering a version for Visual Studio 2008 in the near future that has integration with the Application Designer in a very interesting way. When you couple that with some of the scenarios that TFS integration could support, you get into some very compelling features that do justify VSTS.
Nov 3, 2007 at 4:37 PM
Hi Don,
Thanks for getting back on this. I am looking forward to the integration. I read on the VSTA blog about the enhancements to toolbox prototypes etc and it seemed to me that we could have prototypes representing factory based services with custom prototypes representing customized versions as well..It should be interesting to see if you can link in with the "Conform to WSDL" feature, given that WSDL import has now been dropped !!!

In terms of the edition support, glad its still possible to use with VSPro. (might have a try with orcas beta 2 vs pro and see).
But i am still not sure (and keen to see) what would come in the factory that could justify VSTS. IMO the factory should be able to stand on its own but could plugin to the Application Designer (enabling more powerful features) and could also optionally plugin to TFS (enabling whatever other scenarios the team is cooking up!! ) . This way, the upgrade to VSTA and TFS would be an attractive "carrot" so to speak, but wouldnt ever be mandatory. Then, if the momentum swung visibly to VSTA and TFS, people would be more convinced to upgrade. Forcing peoples hand would only cause them to drop the tool.

Just had a thought that this may all link into project Oslo in some way!!

Thanks,
Benjy