HOW TO: Migrating from v3b117 to v3CTP

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Oct 18, 2007 at 2:12 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2007 at 2:17 PM
As you may have noticed, the final CTP of the new Web Service Software Factory : Modelling Edition has been made available on CodePlex. However, if you have been using build 117 (like me), you will run into a surprise... None of your existing models will open properly. The thing is, they've made considerable changes to the XML structure of the models.

Since we've been creating something like 12 models in the last couple of months, I've tried to figure out the differences by comparing a new and an old model. The good news is that the link at the bottom of this post provides a piece of source code that will be able to partially convert the model's XML. Just build it using Visual Studio 2005 and run it from a command-line. The first argument should point to the directory that contains the .servicecontract and .datacontract files. The second argument should specify the default namespace you plan to use for your services. The tool will inject this namespace anywhere it is missing and is required.

Some important notes:
  • This tool is provided as-is. It has helped me, and it may help you, but don’t complain if it causes some issues I have not foreseen.
  • You will loose all layout. I did not have enough time to figure out the format of the .diagram file.
  • While opening a service contract you may run into a warning about invalid data in the objectExtenderContainer attribute. Saving the model made this warning go away, but I'm not sure if I lost some WCF-specific settings.
  • The service contract model will also complain about the IsWrapped property of some of your message contracts. It is set to False by default (it was True in drop 117). Since this is a WCF-specific property and these are part of the binary blob in the .servicecontract file, I could not find an easy way of forcing this property to True.

Download the source code from here:
http://blog.avivasolutions.nl/Attachments/ConvertWssf117toCtp.zip

Dennis Doomen
Aviva Solutions