WSE910: An error happened during the processing of a response message, and you can find the error in the inner exception. You can also find the response message in the Response property

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM
Hi,

I have used the Web Service Software Factory (ASM) (Dec 2006) to create some web services.
I used the factory to generate data types from XSDs and Contract and Implementation classes.

I created a web service with two public functions and have created Unit Test Code in VS.NET that tested the services successfully.
I’ve noticed that the guidance wizards can’t be used to update an existing interface and so I manually added another public function to my web service using the generated functions as an example. I proceeded to code the implementation of the new function and then wrote a test for it. This has now broken all tests for this service. They all produce the following error “WSE910: An error happened during the processing of a response message, and you can find the error in the inner exception. You can also find the response message in the Response property.” The inner exception is “root element is missing”. This happens at the point where the test attempts to access the service via the proxy. I have tried removing the body of the new function so that it is just a stub that returns but the same error occurs. At first I thought this must be related to the XSD which generates the complex type used as a parameter to the function, but two of my fellow developers have compiled and run my code on their PCs and don’t have the same problem.

When I comment out the code I added to the contract interface the other tests run correctly again.

I have deleted and regenerated my web service references but I still have the problem.

Does anyone know what might be causing these services to fail on my machine and not others?
How do I solve this problem?
How do I avoid this in future?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:52 PM
I have solved my problem.
At the time I was developing these web services my machine downloaded some windows updates. In particular an update for .Net Framework 2.0 (KB928365) which seems to have caused this error. I unistalled this update and now my code is working as expected.

Tim