Data Access Guidance not working with Oracle

Topics: July and December Releases Forum
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM
I have almost gotten the Oracle Schema Discovery package working after having followed the 14 step process outlined in OracleSchemaDiscovery and WCF and resolved the problem with newer versions of the Microsoft.Practices assemblies that are now installed with the GAX. However, the new package does not seem to register correctly. The registration procedure happily declares "Registration of Package succeeded", but it never shows up in the available list of packages to activate in step 11.

The last lines output from the registration are here, can anyone see if this is normal and/or suggest what could possibly be wrong?

------ Build started: Project: DataAccess Guidance Package, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
DataAccess Guidance Package -> C:\Source\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\bin\Debug\Microsoft.Practices.ServiceFactory.DataAccess.dll
del "C:\Source\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\bin\Debug\Docs\*.lnk"
rename "C:\Source\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package\bin\Debug\Docs\*.notlnk" *.lnk

========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I am running VSTS 2005 SR1 on a Windows XP box. More details available on request.

I hope someone can help, since the WSSF looks to be very promising if I "just" can get it work with Oracle... And I do hope this is going to be a lot easier with the next version, since we don't always have the luxury of having SQL Server as the database.
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2007 at 10:20 AM
I have researched further into this, and it seems that I am not the only one having the problem. I suspect it has to do with the new version of GAX (1.3 from July), and I don't think anyone has gotten the Oracle procedure to work since that release. I have posted into this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2093668&SiteID=1, where another person is having the same problem and hope for a solution soon.

But I must say I am a bit disappointed to find that it is so difficult to get this stuff to work.
Sep 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM
If you follow the 14 step process mentioned above, you must also change SpecificVersion=false for the failing references caused by a new version of GAX to get it to build. However, this is NOT enough for the Installer package: DataAccess Guidance Package Installer.csproj. Instead, I removed the old references to the two assemblies:

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework
Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio

and added them again. And presto, it finally worked!! Why this is necessary, I don't know, and it is not at all obvious.