WHAT'S NEW: Service Factory v3 drop 117

Topics: Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
Aug 15, 2007 at 9:32 AM
I took the liberty of sharing my first experiences with drop 117 after upgrading from drop 71. Get it from (http://www.codeplex.com/servicefactory/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=6403. Notice that some of these changes may have already appeared in drop 87, but due to holidays I skipped that drop.

Improvements
  • An installer that saves you from having to build everything yourself. The source code is installed as a .msi file. You can't create your own installer yet, but P&P is working on that.
  • Support for GAX 1.3 (although building your own version of the factory from the source code does require some manual changes).
  • Primitive members of a Data Contract support a CollectionType property.
  • Primitive members of a Message Contract support a IsNullable property.
  • Models open up much quickly than before.
  • You can generate code to a subdirectory within the implementation project (e.g. GeneratedCode)
  • The Create Translator recipe from the v2 factory has been added.
  • There are new recipes for creating the implementation projects with one click of a button

Bugfixes
  • The model project can be placed anywhere in the solution, for instance next to the implementation projects in a dedicated v2-style solution folder.
  • Specifying the XmlSerializer as the SerializerType now generates proper code
  • Visual Studio no longer attempts to check out model files when opening from source control
  • You can now add empty Message Contracts without causes validation errors

Issues
  • The Order property of a Data Contract attribute must be unique. But a new recipe is under development to ease the effort of ensuring uniqueness.
  • Can't select an existing service contract from the deployment designer
  • Can't add a new model project to an existing solution
  • Unexpected attempts to save the Data Contract model upon building the project (causing check-out requests).

To get some help on migrating from an earlier drop to drop 117, you may find my other post helpful: http://www.codeplex.com/servicefactory/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=13815