TDD in Web Service Software Factory??

Topics: General Discussion Forum
May 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM
Hi all,
we are building a WCF solution using the Software factory, also installed the Guidance Automation Toolkit and extensions.

It is an absolute charm to work with and I think it's the best thing since slice bread.
I need some guidance with regards to doing some unit tests or ideally to take a TDD approach as best as possible. It is kind of hard to start as I’m not sure if I should go in and write a couple of tests or take an approach like the guru’s do in Web Service Development. (BOOK:Test-Driven Development in Microsoft .NET)
Currently we use the initial client project as our Test harness but I still wonder what the best way to do it is, for example I'm looking for stuff like this... http://blogs.conchango.com/howardvanrooijen/archive/2007/03/14/Configuring-WCF-Services-for-Unit-Testing.aspx
Has anyone done some TDD in this environment and if so can you please shed some light on the subject.
Thanks!
Developer
May 25, 2007 at 5:12 PM
The way you approach TDD with WSSF is no different than any other project or solution. In this case, you may find some useful tests in the Reference Implementation included in the WSSF installation and many other tests in the guidance packages source code.
On the other hand, the way that was architected the WSSF structure allows you apply TDD in a pretty straightforward way (testable classes like service implementation, service contracts, business layer, etc.) so you can decouple your web service classes from the host implementation and therefore you will not need additional platform logic in your tests like the url you mentioned (btw, that kind of tests seem to be more like integration/functional tests than unit tests).
And last but not least, I'm glad to hear that you found the WSSF useful and easy to use.

Thanks,
Charly