Versioning support - Small Releases

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
May 21, 2007 at 2:39 PM
Edited May 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM
Hi,

Please could you answer my following questions:

I have installed the current version of WSSF, and I have built a web service by using it :

1. Small Releases :
If for our next deployment, we need to add only one field to a table in database, is that possible to build only that bit which is added to, and deploy only the section which is changed, or it rebuilds everything, and we have to deploy all?! How does it handle small releases?

2. Versioning:
When you release the next version of WSSF, and we install it, how does it treat with the previous codes which were generated? How do you support the previous versions, and how they can co-exist with each other?

Many Thanks
May 30, 2007 at 9:58 AM
Hi,

I have the same questions :(
Developer
May 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM
  1. Small Releases: You may deploy only the asm/s that has the change/s and you should be fine.
  2. Versioning: Next version of WSSF (v3) will have modeling (DSL) and the current ASMX and WCF packages will be unified into one main package. However you should have backwards compatibility and or guidance on how to migrate/update your current projects to the new structure. I don't know if there will be some automated way to adapt your solution to the new package but this should certainly be addressed in one way or another.