WCF Reference Implementation Souce Code Error in installation

Topics: General Discussion Forum, July and December Releases Forum, Service Factory Modeling Edition Forum
May 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM
Edited May 18, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Hi,

I downloaded the Service Factory and installed from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=db996113-6e92-4894-9b7e-0debb614d72f&displaylang=en

There is a msi file which is called "WCF Reference Implementation Souce Code", when I click this file to get installed, it gives me the following error message:

"The cabinet file "WCFRISouce.cab" required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

Do I need to redownload, and reinstall the Web Service Software Factory? what should be done you think?

Other question:
Basically, what is the difference between these 2 Guidance Packages, WCF, and ASMX?

Many Thanks

May 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM
For the error in the cab file, you can try some of these options:

1. Anti-virus software must be is disabled, including their services. Please refer to the vendors user guide for the proper procedure to temporarily disable such monitoring.
  2. Check the length of the path where the cab is being installed (try using short paths). I assume that you are installing from a location in your local machine to avoid network share issues.
  3. Test to see if the CAB file in questions can actually be opened by your current zip program.
  4. Check to see if the Microsoft Loopback adapter is installed. As this has been known in the past to cause problems, it is a good idea to remove it if the first steps have not worked.
Regarding the question about the different between the WCF and ASMX packages, basically the former guides you on the creation of WCF compliant services Idesign and code wise) and the latter do much like the same approach (sln strucuture and naming according to ASMX) but for ASMX services.

Charly
May 24, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Many thanks Charly,

your second option worked perfectly, the length of the path was too long.

Regards
Pooya